Onedrive seems to have created its own drive G partition and moved my previous drive G partition to drive L

Anonymous
2021-10-01T22:00:28+00:00

One drive has messed up my partitions in that I had a drive G called WorkArea (G) that has the one drive folders to sync on it, along with all other files and folders on it. Somehow my G drive WorkArea (G) (partition) was reallocated to drive L WorkArea (L), and a separate partition G now called Local Disk (G). has appeared in the original drive G's place. (not talking about drive Mapping here).

In windows explorer I see the following screen shot

whereas in disk management, G does NOT show up at all and I cannot change WorkArea (L) back to G.

Drive L does show up in windows explorer, but is not in the screen shot. .

and trying to re-assign WorkArea to G I cannot, as it is unavailable.

how do I fix this?

I tried to uninstall OneDrive, and reboot but nothing changed.

Can someone please help me fix this as my backup plans are set for G as what is in WorkArea L and now backup of G only shows OneDrive files, that were not part of the backup plan to begin with.

Thanks for any help you can offer. Much appreciated.

Garry G

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-11-01T19:21:03+00:00

    Hi PCR,,,

    I had started a reply after doing all above and when I did the Shift restart of course I was planning to answer the question of if it worked and yes it seemed to give me all the advanced options OK, but when I said to continue to windows, it rebooted and lost my original reply.

    so to answer your first question:

    1) Have you rebooted to Windows since 10/29 when we got {bootmgr} into your BCD? That's an important one. If it won't go to Windows, do the /Import to get back that old rotten BCD. The rest of this is to get Shift+Restart to work. That is a boot to the recovery environment (at the "Choose an Option" screen).

    Yes I rebooted just now before starting the instructions above. Ran the instruction in CMD prompt and looks like all worked OK, although when I invoked the CMD instruction it popped up the window twice, so closed one then exited and restarted it. OK this time only once.

    After doing the above did the ReagentC /Info... and =got the following result:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>ReagentC /Info

    Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration

    Information:

    **Windows RE status:         Enabled** 
    
    **Windows RE location:       \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE** 
    
    **Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 201ca33c-3744-11eb-ab08-a9da93046d68** 
    
    Recovery image location: 
    
    Recovery image index:      0 
    
    Custom image location: 
    
    Custom image index:        0 
    

    REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

    If it says it's enabled, try the Shift+Restart for the recovery environment. Did it get there, & did it have all its buttons, like Troubleshoot & Advanced Options? If so, we are done except maybe for a little cleanup.

    Did this and as mentioned it seemed to work. when the options showed up I just said to continue to windows. Was that the right thing or should it have been a different option? I was just going for the view of all the options being there.

    If all good so far, what cleanup is there left to do?

    Thanks so much for your help here and sticking with me even thru all the mis-steps I made.

    Cheers!

    Garry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-10-31T23:56:06+00:00

    Hi PCR... I think an oopsie happened again... My bad...

    for the following 2 commands of yours...

    BCDEdit /Set {201ca33c-3744-11eb-ab08-a9da93046d68} Device ramdisk=[\Device\HarddiskVolume4]\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim,{becbfbbc-74c1-11e3-a193-d3e592cc6be4}

    BCDEdit /Set {201ca33c-3744-11eb-ab08-a9da93046d68} osdevice ramdisk=[\Device\HarddiskVolume4]\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim,{becbfbbc-74c1-11e3-a193-d3e592cc6be4}

    I think I did the first one twice and not the second one as they looked very much the same. If that is the case, can I just repeat the whole thing again from the Start?

    Sorry about that

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-10-31T23:50:22+00:00

    Hi PCR..

    Thanks again for all your help. Looks like a premature Yippee. :-(

    I entered the commands as instructed above. All worked except the final Reagent C/Enable ...

    I simply copied and pasted your commands above.

    For your easy reading, I went back after I pasted the entire CMD results, and bolded the command sequence entered. I also highlighted and bolded in red where the RE image was not found. I stopped at this point an did not reboot for fear I would not be able to.

    What to do next?

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>ReagentC /Enable

    REAGENTC.EXE: The Windows RE image was not found.

    here is what it says on the ENum:

    Windows RE status: Disabled

    **Windows RE location:**
    

    I have included the entire CMD results following....


    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.1288]

    (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>BCDEdit /Enum {201ca33c-3744-11eb-ab08-a9da93046d68}

    Windows Boot Loader


    identifier {201ca33c-3744-11eb-ab08-a9da93046d68}

    device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume4

    path \windows\system32\winload.efi

    description Windows Recovery Environment

    locale en-US

    inherit {bootloadersettings}

    displaymessage Recovery

    osdevice partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume4

    systemroot \windows

    nx OptIn

    bootmenupolicy Standard

    winpe Yes

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>BCDEdit /Set {201ca33c-3744-11eb-ab08-a9da93046d68} Device ramdisk=[\Device\HarddiskVolume4]\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim,{becbfbbc-74c1-11e3-a193-d3e592cc6be4}

    The operation completed successfully.

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>BCDEdit /Set {201ca33c-3744-11eb-ab08-a9da93046d68} Device ramdisk=[\Device\HarddiskVolume4]\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim,{becbfbbc-74c1-11e3-a193-d3e592cc6be4}

    The operation completed successfully.

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>BCDEdit /Enum {201ca33c-3744-11eb-ab08-a9da93046d68}


    Windows Boot Loader


    identifier {201ca33c-3744-11eb-ab08-a9da93046d68}

    device ramdisk=[\Device\HarddiskVolume4]\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim,{becbfbbc-74c1-11e3-a193-d3e592cc6be4}

    path \windows\system32\winload.efi

    description Windows Recovery Environment

    locale en-US

    inherit {bootloadersettings}

    displaymessage Recovery

    osdevice partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume4

    systemroot \windows

    nx OptIn

    bootmenupolicy Standard

    winpe Yes

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>BCDEdit /Enum {becbfbbc-74c1-11e3-a193-d3e592cc6be4}

    Device options


    identifier {becbfbbc-74c1-11e3-a193-d3e592cc6be4}

    description Ramdisk Options

    ramdisksdidevice partition=C:

    ramdisksdipath \Recovery\becbfbbb-74c1-11e3-a193-d3e592cc6be4\boot.sdi

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>BCDEdit /Set {becbfbbc-74c1-11e3-a193-d3e592cc6be4} ramdisksdidevice partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume4

    The operation completed successfully.

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>BCDEdit /Set {becbfbbc-74c1-11e3-a193-d3e592cc6be4} ramdisksdipath \Recovery\WindowsRE\boot.sdi

    The operation completed successfully.

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>BCDEdit /Enum {becbfbbc-74c1-11e3-a193-d3e592cc6be4}

    Device options


    identifier {becbfbbc-74c1-11e3-a193-d3e592cc6be4}

    description Ramdisk Options

    ramdisksdidevice partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume4

    ramdisksdipath \Recovery\WindowsRE\boot.sdi

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>ReagentC /Info

    Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration

    Information:

    **Windows RE status:         Disabled** 
    
    **Windows RE location:** 
    
    Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 201ca33c-3744-11eb-ab08-a9da93046d68 
    
    Recovery image location: 
    
    Recovery image index:      0 
    
    Custom image location: 
    
    Custom image index:        0 
    

    REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>ReagentC /Enable

    REAGENTC.EXE: The Windows RE image was not found.

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>ReagentC /Info

    Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration

    Information:

    Windows RE status:         Disabled 
    
    Windows RE location: 
    
    Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 201ca33c-3744-11eb-ab08-a9da93046d68 
    
    Recovery image location: 
    
    Recovery image index:      0 
    
    Custom image location: 
    
    Custom image index:        0 
    

    REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

    Here is the final BCDEdit /ENum all

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdedit /Enum all

    Firmware Boot Manager


    identifier {fwbootmgr}

    displayorder {bootmgr}

                        {c4337ee6-11b0-11ec-ab4f-806e6f6e6963} 
    
                        {c4337ee8-11b0-11ec-ab4f-806e6f6e6963} 
    
                        {c4337ee7-11b0-11ec-ab4f-806e6f6e6963} 
    
                        {c4337ee3-11b0-11ec-ab4f-806e6f6e6963} 
    

    timeout 0

    Windows Boot Manager


    identifier {bootmgr}

    device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2

    path \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI

    description Windows Boot Manager

    locale en-US

    inherit {globalsettings}

    default {current}

    resumeobject {00699258-3744-11eb-956e-efd836ee9db2}

    displayorder {current}

    toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}

    timeout 30

    Firmware Application (101fffff)


    identifier {c4337ee3-11b0-11ec-ab4f-806e6f6e6963}

    description CD/DVD Drive

    Firmware Application (101fffff)


    identifier {c4337ee6-11b0-11ec-ab4f-806e6f6e6963}

    device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2

    path \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI

    description Windows Boot Manager

    Firmware Application (101fffff)


    identifier {c4337ee7-11b0-11ec-ab4f-806e6f6e6963}

    description Hard Drive

    Firmware Application (101fffff)


    identifier {c4337ee8-11b0-11ec-ab4f-806e6f6e6963}

    device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2

    path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

    description Windows Boot Manager

    Windows Boot Loader


    identifier {current}

    device partition=C:

    path \WINDOWS\system32\winload.efi

    description Windows 10

    locale en-US

    inherit {bootloadersettings}

    recoverysequence {201ca33c-3744-11eb-ab08-a9da93046d68}

    displaymessageoverride Recovery

    recoveryenabled Yes

    allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075

    osdevice partition=C:

    systemroot \WINDOWS

    resumeobject {00699258-3744-11eb-956e-efd836ee9db2}

    nx OptIn

    bootmenupolicy Standard

    Windows Boot Loader


    identifier {201ca33c-3744-11eb-ab08-a9da93046d68}

    device ramdisk=[\Device\HarddiskVolume4]\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim,{becbfbbc-74c1-11e3-a193-d3e592cc6be4}

    path \windows\system32\winload.efi

    description Windows Recovery Environment

    locale en-US

    inherit {bootloadersettings}

    displaymessage Recovery

    osdevice partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume4

    systemroot \windows

    nx OptIn

    bootmenupolicy Standard

    winpe Yes

    Windows Boot Loader


    identifier {becbfbbb-74c1-11e3-a193-d3e592cc6be4}

    device partition=C:

    path \windows\system32\winload.efi

    description Windows Recovery Environment

    inherit {bootloadersettings}

    osdevice partition=C:

    systemroot \windows

    nx OptIn

    winpe Yes

    Resume from Hibernate


    identifier {00699258-3744-11eb-956e-efd836ee9db2}

    device partition=C:

    path \WINDOWS\system32\winresume.efi

    description Windows Resume Application

    locale en-US

    inherit {resumeloadersettings}

    recoverysequence {201ca33c-3744-11eb-ab08-a9da93046d68}

    recoveryenabled Yes

    allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075

    filedevice partition=C:

    filepath \hiberfil.sys

    bootmenupolicy Standard

    debugoptionenabled No

    Windows Memory Tester


    identifier {memdiag}

    device unknown

    path \boot\memtest.exe

    description Windows Memory Diagnostic

    locale en-US

    inherit {globalsettings}

    badmemoryaccess Yes

    EMS Settings


    identifier {emssettings}

    bootems No

    Debugger Settings


    identifier {dbgsettings}

    debugtype Serial

    debugport 1

    baudrate 115200

    RAM Defects


    identifier {badmemory}

    Global Settings


    identifier {globalsettings}

    inherit {dbgsettings}

                        {emssettings} 
    
                        {badmemory} 
    

    Boot Loader Settings


    identifier {bootloadersettings}

    inherit {globalsettings}

                        {hypervisorsettings} 
    

    Hypervisor Settings


    identifier {hypervisorsettings}

    hypervisordebugtype Serial

    hypervisordebugport 1

    hypervisorbaudrate 115200

    Resume Loader Settings


    identifier {resumeloadersettings}

    inherit {globalsettings}

    Device options


    identifier {201ca33d-3744-11eb-ab08-a9da93046d68}

    description Windows Recovery

    ramdisksdidevice partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume4

    ramdisksdipath \Recovery\WindowsRE\boot.sdi

    Device options


    identifier {becbfbbc-74c1-11e3-a193-d3e592cc6be4}

    description Ramdisk Options

    ramdisksdidevice partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume4

    ramdisksdipath \Recovery\WindowsRE\boot.sdi

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-10-29T19:15:10+00:00

    Hi PCR...

    Bummer... my eyes were probably getting fuzzy when I did this, as they are now as well. I reread the command before hitting enter but missed the second fwbootmgr.

    OK so I did the instructions above in Windows at an Administrator Command Prompt...

    the commands all seemed to have worked, but I managed to exit before snagging the results.. I went back and redid the following:

    BCDEdit /Enum {bootmgr} <<<Show new {bootmgr}

    BCDEdit /Enum {fwbootmgr} <<<Show current {fwbootmgr}

    BCDEdit /Set {fwbootmgr} Displayorder {bootmgr} /Addfirst

    BCDEdit /Enum {fwbootmgr} <<<Show new {fwbootmgr}

    and captured the results this time as follows:

    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.1288]

    (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>BCDEdit /Enum {bootmgr}

    Windows Boot Manager


    identifier {bootmgr} <===============

    device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2 <=============== YAY? is good now?

    path \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI <===============

    description Windows Boot Manager

    locale en-US

    inherit {globalsettings}

    default {current}

    resumeobject {00699258-3744-11eb-956e-efd836ee9db2}

    displayorder {current}

    toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}

    timeout 30

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>BCDEdit /Enum {fwbootmgr}

    Firmware Boot Manager


    identifier {fwbootmgr}

    displayorder {bootmgr}

                        {c4337ee6-11b0-11ec-ab4f-806e6f6e6963} 
    
                        {c4337ee8-11b0-11ec-ab4f-806e6f6e6963} 
    
                        {c4337ee7-11b0-11ec-ab4f-806e6f6e6963} 
    
                        {c4337ee3-11b0-11ec-ab4f-806e6f6e6963} 
    

    timeout 0

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>BCDEDit /Set {fwbootmgr} Displayorder {bootmgr} /Addfirst

    The operation completed successfully.

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdEdit /Enum {fwbootmgr}

    Firmware Boot Manager


    identifier {fwbootmgr}

    displayorder {bootmgr}

                        {c4337ee6-11b0-11ec-ab4f-806e6f6e6963} 
    
                        {c4337ee8-11b0-11ec-ab4f-806e6f6e6963} 
    
                        {c4337ee7-11b0-11ec-ab4f-806e6f6e6963} 
    
                        {c4337ee3-11b0-11ec-ab4f-806e6f6e6963} 
    

    timeout 0

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>

    So does tis mean we are now all good? as in Done!!

    If so, then thank you so very much for all your help.

    If not.... then what's next?

    Cheers!

    Garry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-10-28T22:58:22+00:00

    Hi PCR...

    My head hurts! based on all your responses above, I pulled together as much as I could to try and get this right. I got more things to go what seems to be correct, but not sure all is good ...yet (if it can be made good).

    So here's what I did today... for now I ignored the remove Letter H that you said was attached to the recovery partition

    1. with the DVD in the drive, restarted PC and when the message to press Del or F2 came up on the screen kept pressing F8 as per the linked article you cave me to get hotkeys access to the Bios settings. When the list of options came up I chose the UEFI option from a list of more than in my Normal Bios.
    2. When the message came up to press any key to continue (took a while to find the any key :-) think 'm a little punchy by now, I hit the enter key.

    3 Windows installation screen came up and this time looked different that before (smaller) but still only had the install or repair option. I clicked on repair. and the choose an option screen came up .. I chose Troubleshoot.

    Image

    1. Troubleshoot produced the following screen and I chose Command prompt

    Image

    Once in the command prompt followed your instructions.

    (3) Your BCD looks as before. We want /RebuildBCD to fix that. The Firmware Boot Manager (fwbootmgr) doesn't go to the Windows Boot Manager....

    I did not see anything that addressed this in your instructions following next, but did follow then precisely and all commands executed successfully :

    Here would be a fix...

    (a) Add {bootmgr} to top of Displayorder, meaning boot will go there...

    BCDEdit /Enum {fwbootmgr} <<<Show current {fwbootmgr}

    BCDEdit /Set {fwbootmgr} Displayorder {bootmgr} /Addfirst

    BCDEdit /Enum {fwbootmgr} <<<Show new {fwbootmgr}

    (b) Fix Device & Path in the {bootmgr}...

    BCDEdit /Enum {bootmgr}

    BCDEdit /Set {bootmgr} Device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2

    BCDEdit /Set {bootmgr} Path \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI

    BCDEdit /Enum {bootmgr}

    So now you should see {bootmgr} at the top of the Displayorder list, & it has Device & Path values. If you don't see it, then restore your backup before you reboot...


    BCDEdit /Import C:\BU\BCD_Backup /Clean

    The results of the doing the above are shown below...

    Image

    the next screen shows the operations for your part (b) above

    Image

    Notice that the device is marked as Unknown, but the path information is there. I think this is still a problem no?

    Since all executed successfully, I assumed things were good so I rebooted and used diskpart under windows the remove the Letter H from the partition assigned to. is seemed to work ok as H is no longer there, as it no longer appears in file explorer/

    Image

    however, when I look at disk management things look a bit wonky I think...

    Notice the red arrow. Pointing to Disk 0 ( windows system SSD) show partition 2 being the EFI partition, but it is partition 1, while where the arrow is pointing says it is partition 4 but there is no partition 4 but the partition it points to is partition 3 based on the size of 627 MB

    So my questions now are:

    1. is everything OK (despite me thinking not so)

    2. Is the BCD OK or still needing to be fixed (somehow)?

    3. What about the ..."Your BCD looks as before. We want /RebuildBCD to fix that." ? If need to do this still please tell me how and where this needs to be done. and will that fix things?

    Image

    Thanks for sticking with me on this. I so very much appreciate your help.

    Cheers!

    Garry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments