Cumulative updates July 2021

Sumit 44,436 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-07-14T02:40:19+00:00

This is a summary of the cumulative updates released on July 13th for all the supported consumer releases of Windows 10. 

  1. Windows 10 version 2004, version 20H2, and version 21H1 KB5004237- Build 19041.1110, 19042.1110 and 19043.1110.

For information about Windows update terminology, see the article about the types of Windows updates and the monthly quality update types. 

Download KB5004237 from theMicrosoft Update Catalog.

Windows 10 release dashboard

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/

Windows 10 update history

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/windows-10-update-history-7dd3071a-3906-fa2c-c342-f7f86728a6e3

Windows 10 Lifecycle FAQ

Lifecycle FAQ - Windows - Microsoft Lifecycle | Microsoft Docs

Windows 10 message center

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/windows-message-center#407

Known issues

Symptom Workaround
When using the Microsoft Japanese Input Method Editor (IME) to enter Kanji characters in an app that automatically allows the input of Furigana characters, you might not get the correct Furigana characters. You might need to enter the Furigana characters manually.<br><br>NoteThe affected apps are using the ImmGetCompositionString() function. We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
Devices with Windows installations created from custom offline media or custom ISO image might have Microsoft Edge Legacy removed by this update, but not automatically replaced by the new Microsoft Edge. This issue is only encountered when custom offline media or ISO images are created by slipstreaming this update into the image without having first installed the standalone servicing stack update (SSU) released March 29, 2021 or later.<br><br>NoteDevices that connect directly to Windows Update to receive updates are not affected. This includes devices using Windows Update for Business. Any device connecting to Windows Update should always receive the latest versions of the SSU and latest cumulative update (LCU) without any extra steps. To avoid this issue, be sure to first slipstream the SSU released March 29, 2021 or later into the custom offline media or ISO image before slipstreaming the LCU. To do this with the combined SSU and LCU packages now used for Windows 10, version 20H2 and Windows 10, version 2004, you will need to extract the SSU from the combined package. Use the following steps to extract the using SSU:<br><ol type="1"><li style="margin-left: 0"><p>Extract the cab from the msu via this command line (using the package for KB5000842 as an example): <b>expand Windows10.0-KB5000842-x64.msu /f:Windows10.0-KB5000842-x64.cab <destination path></b></p></li><li style="margin-left: 0"><p>Extract the SSU from the previously extracted cab via this command line: <b>expand Windows10.0-KB5000842-x64.cab /f:* <destination path></b></p></li><li style="margin-left: 0"><p>You will then have the SSU cab, in this example named <b>SSU-19041.903-x64.cab</b>. Slipstream this file into your offline image first, then the LCU.</p></li></ol><br>If you have already encountered this issue by installing the OS using affected custom media, you can mitigate it by directly installing the new Microsoft Edge. If you need to broadly deploy the new Microsoft Edge for business, see Download and deploy Microsoft Edge for business.

Follow @WindowsUpdate to find out when new content is published to the release information dashboard.

Also read:

Introducing Windows 11 | Windows Experience Blog

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

66 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-17T02:43:06+00:00

    MR3MR3, try the repair-install Sumit suggested in here...

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-update-failed-0x80073701/984a3c0f-882e-445c-8d5d-47c525a50576?page=1

    WIN10 update failed 0x80073701

    It worked for YCZ2 in there. It worked for me to fix a different problem. Just be sure you see the screen that says it will keep personal files & apps, if indeed you want to keep them. Good luck, & keep us informed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2021-07-17T19:50:58+00:00

    Thanks once again PCR for reply. I suppose we are just "different" in our preferences/likes/dislikes. I did turn off the two MS Account toggles you showed in your post a LONG time ago. So far, I've had no problems with that choice.

    As far as the "jump lists" (recent file history) being shown in Notepad and other apps I use -- I got tired of right clicking each one to get rid of them. I just disabled the ability to save the lists altogether via "settings/personalization/start" and toggling OFF the last one in the list - "show recently opened items in jump lists," etc. Easy enough to toggle back ON if I want to see my lists again!

    I know you are helping people with more urgent problems than this. It does no good to complain about things I don't like with the updates, so I'll end this topic. Perhaps I'm the ONLY person who finds the search bar 'pop up' annoying. IDK.🤷‍♂️

    Thanks for your time and knowledge.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-07-17T23:00:48+00:00

    Thanks for the help! The update installed perfectly fine, and everything is up and running as it should.

    I do have one concern though - will I have to repair Windows every time there is an update and this error occurs? Or if such an issue continues to happen, should I take a closer look at my hardware that could be causing issues?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-07-17T23:21:15+00:00

    You are welcome. You seem to know as much as I do regarding the issue, if not more. It seems the normal toggles to disallow recently/frequently lists don't work for the Search pop-up. Right, I like the lists & others won't...

    Hopefully MSFT someday will add Search to that. I would be cautious looking for a registry tweak which might interfere with something else & might get wiped anyway with an update. Good luck with it. Keep us informed. You've been helping with more urgent problems too. Good to see you around.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments