Cumulative updates July 2021

Sumit 44,436 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-07-14T02:40:19+00:00

This is a summary of the cumulative updates released on July 13th for all the supported consumer releases of Windows 10. 

  1. Windows 10 version 2004, version 20H2, and version 21H1 KB5004237- Build 19041.1110, 19042.1110 and 19043.1110.

For information about Windows update terminology, see the article about the types of Windows updates and the monthly quality update types. 

Download KB5004237 from theMicrosoft Update Catalog.

Windows 10 release dashboard

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/

Windows 10 update history

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/windows-10-update-history-7dd3071a-3906-fa2c-c342-f7f86728a6e3

Windows 10 Lifecycle FAQ

Lifecycle FAQ - Windows - Microsoft Lifecycle | Microsoft Docs

Windows 10 message center

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/windows-message-center#407

Known issues

Symptom Workaround
When using the Microsoft Japanese Input Method Editor (IME) to enter Kanji characters in an app that automatically allows the input of Furigana characters, you might not get the correct Furigana characters. You might need to enter the Furigana characters manually.<br><br>NoteThe affected apps are using the ImmGetCompositionString() function. We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
Devices with Windows installations created from custom offline media or custom ISO image might have Microsoft Edge Legacy removed by this update, but not automatically replaced by the new Microsoft Edge. This issue is only encountered when custom offline media or ISO images are created by slipstreaming this update into the image without having first installed the standalone servicing stack update (SSU) released March 29, 2021 or later.<br><br>NoteDevices that connect directly to Windows Update to receive updates are not affected. This includes devices using Windows Update for Business. Any device connecting to Windows Update should always receive the latest versions of the SSU and latest cumulative update (LCU) without any extra steps. To avoid this issue, be sure to first slipstream the SSU released March 29, 2021 or later into the custom offline media or ISO image before slipstreaming the LCU. To do this with the combined SSU and LCU packages now used for Windows 10, version 20H2 and Windows 10, version 2004, you will need to extract the SSU from the combined package. Use the following steps to extract the using SSU:<br><ol type="1"><li style="margin-left: 0"><p>Extract the cab from the msu via this command line (using the package for KB5000842 as an example): <b>expand Windows10.0-KB5000842-x64.msu /f:Windows10.0-KB5000842-x64.cab <destination path></b></p></li><li style="margin-left: 0"><p>Extract the SSU from the previously extracted cab via this command line: <b>expand Windows10.0-KB5000842-x64.cab /f:* <destination path></b></p></li><li style="margin-left: 0"><p>You will then have the SSU cab, in this example named <b>SSU-19041.903-x64.cab</b>. Slipstream this file into your offline image first, then the LCU.</p></li></ol><br>If you have already encountered this issue by installing the OS using affected custom media, you can mitigate it by directly installing the new Microsoft Edge. If you need to broadly deploy the new Microsoft Edge for business, see Download and deploy Microsoft Edge for business.

Follow @WindowsUpdate to find out when new content is published to the release information dashboard.

Also read:

Introducing Windows 11 | Windows Experience Blog

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

66 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-16T12:13:18+00:00

    window not update why problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-07-16T17:40:24+00:00

    First, thanks for the reply PCR: "Why can't you just ignore it & just type into the box? I looked & can't see how to turn it off (but wouldn't want to)."


    I'm glad you are happy with this "feature," but I'm not. So we're just to IGNORE anything MS decides to cram down our throat in an effort to steer us into using THEIR stuff?

    Since it's not imperative to the OS, it should be something WE decide to have or not! I have never used or know what snip & sketch is and don't use paint-- no idea why they show up to begin with. As I've said, I've searched for answers to this and cannot find anything.

    I notice you have more things listed i.e. Command Prompt, File Explorer Options, etc. Are they added automatically as you use these things? Are you able to delete them once there in your (what I consider to be a) "pop-up?"

    I know people have more urgent and pressing problems than this with the updates, but it just bothers me that I cannot decide on my own whether I want to use something that is useless and ANNOYING to me.

    I suppose I WILL JUST HAVE TO IGNORE IT 👎 until someone comes out with a workaround to get rid of it.

    Thanks again!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-07-16T20:56:02+00:00

    Microsoft policies are as clear as mud. I simply accept whatever is on windows update and reset the machine when things go wrong.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-07-17T00:51:53+00:00

    Been having problems installing the latest cumulative update: 2021-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems

    OS Info:

    Image

    Error Message + Update Installation History:

    Image

    Image

    I've done most of the fixes I could find online, DISM scan/restore/check health and sfc /scannow, manually stopping and restarting the Windows update service, deleting/renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder, doing several Disk Cleanups, as well as several more mundane fixes like Date and Time alterations and making sure Edge is updated. Everything is up to date, and DISM nor sfc finds any errors with my build or files. Is this just Windows Update being all messed up?

    Note that I already reset Windows on the 9th, when I was encountering similar problems to what I am having now with Windows Updates - I just attributed it to corrupted files since sfc found some files and could not fix them then. It shouldn't be anything to do with my drive though - health on it is estimated 99%, and it's never undergone any serious usage.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-07-17T01:21:37+00:00

    I can't argue against what you say. We should have a choice to opt out of everything. I guess MSFT didn't include it because they believe it's for our eyes only. And it does appear to have the stuff I most recently/frequently have clicked. They want it to be easier to click a second time. Oddly, I never do click them there though, but maybe I'll start soon. I do like typing "Notepad" into Search & seeing the last 12 items I've opened just a click away under "Recent"...

    Those can be right-clicked & removed. It would be nice if all of it could be. Sorry I can't help with that. If ever MSFT adds it, I guess it would be at "Search, More (3 dots), Search settings"...

    Hmm, I don't know, what happens if you disallow results from your MSFT account...?...

    And further down you can turn off & clear search history...

    I don't know how well that works. I kind of like them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments