No Option to Keep Files on 21H1 Update. Solution?

Anonymous
2021-06-15T22:25:27+00:00

Windows 10 Pro

Build 19041 release 191206-1406

I know the Windows 10 files are problematic. Windows updates occasionally install, but mostly don't. The package files are corrupted, according to Tweaking.com. I've had this happen before with other PCs/builds, and updating with the ISO file always solves the problem, until now.

After running through the initial set up, the system only gives me the option to install without keeping anything. Reason given is that Windows is installed in a non-standard directory. This, of course, is not the case, it's installed where it should be.

I would REALLY not want to go this route. It seems extreme and there must be a way to get this fixed. Yes, all files are backed up 2x. Yes I have a boot disc.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Pauli O 16,380 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-06-20T22:15:54+00:00

Nice to see your issue is solved.  

All users don't get 21H1 same time, but build 19042.1055 is latest available for 20H2.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Neil D 34,310 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-06-20T17:02:33+00:00

I would wait to see if you receive 21H1 automatically via windows update. This is via an Enablement package and so is a small quick update. You may find you get further cumulative updates or select check for updates in Settings > Update and security.

There is no need to try a repair first (I don't think) if you want to try the  Upgrade Assistant via

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 to manually update to 21H1 then that is up to you. If it still doesn't work then you can go the repair route first by using the 20H2 ISO file.

Glad it worked out in the end by the way, or so far at least.

another note I would remove the email address from your screenshot.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Neil D 34,310 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2021-06-17T14:40:49+00:00

    The only reason I asked was because that is usually what is shown on the desktop (bottom righthand) when using an insider build evaluation.

    Usually I would just go with winver in Search and select the top result to see the version and build info.

    Regarding the monthly updates, they are cumulative so it's conceivable (I suppose) that the June update will install all the previous monthly updates that previously failed. But why the others should then show successfully installed when they weren't at the time I don't know.

    I wondered if you had enrolled the computer in the Insider program and then were trying to use a public release ISO to update to 21H1. The computer is on build 19041.nnn which is version 2004, winver will give the full build info.

    I've seen a registry change that fixed this problem but I can't find it now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Neil D 34,310 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2021-06-17T14:44:38+00:00

    An internet search found what I was looking for.

    http://woshub.com/windows-10-might-installed-unsupported-directory/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-17T15:18:30+00:00

    An internet search found what I was looking for.

    http://woshub.com/windows-10-might-installed-unsupported-directory/

    Website's Entries:

    ProgramFilesDir(x86) = C:\Program Files (x86)ProgramFilesPath = C:\Program FilesProgramW6432Dir = C:\Program Files

    My Registry:

    ProgramFilesPath = %ProgramFiles% is what showed in my registry, while the other entries showed C:\Program Files (x86) and C:\Program Files.  According to the website this should be permitted, but I changed it to C:\Program Files like the others.

    They also mentioned Language, and I ran the command:

    PS C:\windows\system32> DISM /online /get-intl

    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.19041.572

    Image Version: 10.0.19042.630

    Reporting online international settings.

    Default system UI language : en-US
    System locale : en-US
    Default time zone : Eastern Standard Time
    Active keyboard(s) : 0409:00000409
    Keyboard layered driver : PC/AT Enhanced Keyboard (101/102-Key)

    Installed language(s): en-US
    Type : Fully localized language.

    The operation completed successfully.
    PS C:\windows\system32>

    Apparently this isn't the issue either.

    The bad news is after making the one registry change and verifying the language and rebooting, I got the same "Keep Nothing" option with the others greyed out.

    Michael

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments