No Option to Keep Files on 21H1 Update. Solution?

Anonymous
2021-06-15T22:25:27+00:00

Windows 10 Pro

Build 19041 release 191206-1406

I know the Windows 10 files are problematic. Windows updates occasionally install, but mostly don't. The package files are corrupted, according to Tweaking.com. I've had this happen before with other PCs/builds, and updating with the ISO file always solves the problem, until now.

After running through the initial set up, the system only gives me the option to install without keeping anything. Reason given is that Windows is installed in a non-standard directory. This, of course, is not the case, it's installed where it should be.

I would REALLY not want to go this route. It seems extreme and there must be a way to get this fixed. Yes, all files are backed up 2x. Yes I have a boot disc.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Pauli O 16,380 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-06-20T22:15:54+00:00

Nice to see your issue is solved.  

All users don't get 21H1 same time, but build 19042.1055 is latest available for 20H2.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Neil D 34,310 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-06-20T17:02:33+00:00

I would wait to see if you receive 21H1 automatically via windows update. This is via an Enablement package and so is a small quick update. You may find you get further cumulative updates or select check for updates in Settings > Update and security.

There is no need to try a repair first (I don't think) if you want to try the  Upgrade Assistant via

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 to manually update to 21H1 then that is up to you. If it still doesn't work then you can go the repair route first by using the 20H2 ISO file.

Glad it worked out in the end by the way, or so far at least.

another note I would remove the email address from your screenshot.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Neil D 34,310 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2021-06-16T22:28:08+00:00

    When you quote "Build 19041 release 191206-1406" is this an Insider build if so what ISO are you using to try to update?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-17T11:38:27+00:00

    It is strange. What happens when you click Update now button at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo... ?

    And please try to repair system files by
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    command from Windows PowerShell (administrator) environment.

    Update now goes through the same process as above, with the same end result...keep nothing.

    DISM doesn't work.  It generates a log file that, quite frankly, means nothing to me as I read through it, but after looking up this issue it seems to relate t the corrupt package files, something about the OS not knowing what it's up to by way of updates.

    SFC, however, did find corrupt files and repaired them, but still no go.

    I also did a scan disc just to be sure that wasn't the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-17T11:50:14+00:00

    When you quote "Build 19041 release 191206-1406" is this an Insider build if so what ISO are you using to try to update?

    This is the info that is displayed on the Windows Desktop from "Windows Ultimate Tweaker."  I only make minor adjustments, and it hasn't ever been a problem on this PC in the past or on my laptop, which is working as it should and even got the 21h1 update without any prompting from me.

    This should NOT be an insider's build.  When I got the PC last year it updated to 20h1 immediately and on November 1 it downloaded 20h2.  Problems started with the November Windows update, when it failed, and I had to go back to a restore point.

    Since that time, each monthly update fails, but when the NEXT update comes, right now we're in June, the HISTORY will say that every other month's updates are now installed except for June.  Clearly this can't be accurate because May was failing up until June was released, and April failed until the May release.   Since it's not prompting for a reboot it can't be silently updating but reporting back failures, could it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments