No Option to Keep Files on 21H1 Update. Solution?

Anonymous
2021-06-15T22:25:27+00:00

Windows 10 Pro

Build 19041 release 191206-1406

I know the Windows 10 files are problematic. Windows updates occasionally install, but mostly don't. The package files are corrupted, according to Tweaking.com. I've had this happen before with other PCs/builds, and updating with the ISO file always solves the problem, until now.

After running through the initial set up, the system only gives me the option to install without keeping anything. Reason given is that Windows is installed in a non-standard directory. This, of course, is not the case, it's installed where it should be.

I would REALLY not want to go this route. It seems extreme and there must be a way to get this fixed. Yes, all files are backed up 2x. Yes I have a boot disc.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Pauli O 16,380 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-06-20T22:15:54+00:00

Nice to see your issue is solved.  

All users don't get 21H1 same time, but build 19042.1055 is latest available for 20H2.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Neil D 34,310 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-06-20T17:02:33+00:00

I would wait to see if you receive 21H1 automatically via windows update. This is via an Enablement package and so is a small quick update. You may find you get further cumulative updates or select check for updates in Settings > Update and security.

There is no need to try a repair first (I don't think) if you want to try the  Upgrade Assistant via

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 to manually update to 21H1 then that is up to you. If it still doesn't work then you can go the repair route first by using the 20H2 ISO file.

Glad it worked out in the end by the way, or so far at least.

another note I would remove the email address from your screenshot.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Igor Leyko 112.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2021-06-19T17:17:49+00:00

    Sorry, I have no any other solution except clean reinstall. May be someone else on forum may suggest better decision.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-19T20:37:36+00:00

    >If winveris showing 20H2 build 19042.630 then using version 2004 ISO would be wrong.

    >To carry out a repair will indeed need the version 20H2 ISO image file.

    When v20H2 was released to public there was bug which prevent inplace repair using ISO for 20H2.

    If you try to do that v20H2 ISO think it was 2004 and  doesn't keep your files and apps just like OP show in first page.  That bug was fixed in build 19042.662.

    That's great but so far nothing is working to get this fixed.  I would think, their bug, they should be able to fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-19T20:38:36+00:00

    It showed as WIM and the drive was F.

    It just didn't work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments