Nice to see your issue is solved.
All users don't get 21H1 same time, but build 19042.1055 is latest available for 20H2.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Windows 10 Pro
Build 19041 release 191206-1406
I know the Windows 10 files are problematic. Windows updates occasionally install, but mostly don't. The package files are corrupted, according to Tweaking.com. I've had this happen before with other PCs/builds, and updating with the ISO file always solves the problem, until now.
After running through the initial set up, the system only gives me the option to install without keeping anything. Reason given is that Windows is installed in a non-standard directory. This, of course, is not the case, it's installed where it should be.
I would REALLY not want to go this route. It seems extreme and there must be a way to get this fixed. Yes, all files are backed up 2x. Yes I have a boot disc.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Nice to see your issue is solved.
All users don't get 21H1 same time, but build 19042.1055 is latest available for 20H2.
I would wait to see if you receive 21H1 automatically via windows update. This is via an Enablement package and so is a small quick update. You may find you get further cumulative updates or select check for updates in Settings > Update and security.
There is no need to try a repair first (I don't think) if you want to try the Upgrade Assistant via
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 to manually update to 21H1 then that is up to you. If it still doesn't work then you can go the repair route first by using the 20H2 ISO file.
Glad it worked out in the end by the way, or so far at least.
another note I would remove the email address from your screenshot.
Please run Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/detail...
or use method described at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/306160...
and see if this helps.
I ran the tool. No change in behavior with the PC
I'm not sure what you have done or what the screenshot should be showing.
Just to be sure did you download the ISO image file for version 20H2 from the source I posted and then try to update from 2004 to 20H2 or have you tried to run the DISM command using that ISO image.
If you currently have version 2004 build 19041.nnn then you will need to download the ISO for version 2004 to run the command line you posted in the screenshot.
What I was suggesting (see the tenforum link) a repair install/in-place upgrade for version 2004 using a version 2004 ISO image file. You mount the ISO in File Explorer and select the new drive letter then run setup. If that is successful then try the update to 21H1 again.
I'm not sure what you have done or what the screenshot should be showing.
Just to be sure did you download the ISO image file for version 20H2 from the source I posted and then try to update from 2004 to 20H2 or have you tried to run the DISM command using that ISO image.
If you currently have version 2004 build 19041.nnn then you will need to download the ISO for version 2004 to run the command line you posted in the screenshot.
What I was suggesting (see the tenforum link) a repair install/in-place upgrade for version 2004 using a version 2004 ISO image file. You mount the ISO in File Explorer and select the new drive letter then run setup. If that is successful then try the update to 21H1 again.
Recap.
I did download the ISO image that you posted. I ran it first as a repair, and that was the first failure. After the DISM completed I got the "unable to find source files" error, presumably because the package files got corrupted in November with the Windows bad update.
I then tried the in place update with that same ISO and got the same message of "keep nothing" and so I backed out.
I did not try the 2004 build 19041.nn because I was basing the version on the winver info, which says 20H2 OS Build 19042.630. I'll try anything at this point short of wiping the drive and starting over.
I'm finding it difficult to believe, but not really based on history, that there appears to be no solution other than wiping the drive. If we can't get this to update I'm going to not bother updating anything and I'll wait until the eventual Windows 11. Perhaps I'll have more success with that?