No Option to Keep Files on 21H1 Update. Solution?

Anonymous
2021-06-15T22:25:27+00:00

Windows 10 Pro

Build 19041 release 191206-1406

I know the Windows 10 files are problematic. Windows updates occasionally install, but mostly don't. The package files are corrupted, according to Tweaking.com. I've had this happen before with other PCs/builds, and updating with the ISO file always solves the problem, until now.

After running through the initial set up, the system only gives me the option to install without keeping anything. Reason given is that Windows is installed in a non-standard directory. This, of course, is not the case, it's installed where it should be.

I would REALLY not want to go this route. It seems extreme and there must be a way to get this fixed. Yes, all files are backed up 2x. Yes I have a boot disc.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Pauli O 16,380 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-06-20T22:15:54+00:00

Nice to see your issue is solved.  

All users don't get 21H1 same time, but build 19042.1055 is latest available for 20H2.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Neil D 34,310 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-06-20T17:02:33+00:00

I would wait to see if you receive 21H1 automatically via windows update. This is via an Enablement package and so is a small quick update. You may find you get further cumulative updates or select check for updates in Settings > Update and security.

There is no need to try a repair first (I don't think) if you want to try the  Upgrade Assistant via

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 to manually update to 21H1 then that is up to you. If it still doesn't work then you can go the repair route first by using the 20H2 ISO file.

Glad it worked out in the end by the way, or so far at least.

another note I would remove the email address from your screenshot.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Igor Leyko 112.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2021-06-16T22:16:41+00:00

    It is strange. What happens when you click Update now button at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo... ?

    And please try to repair system files by

    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    command from Windows PowerShell (administrator) environment.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-16T16:17:20+00:00

    Hi Michael,
    My name is Igor, I'm Independent Advisor. I have 12 Microsoft MVP awards. It's a pleasure for me to help others and I'll do all my best to help you.

    Could it be you've used registry cleaners? unfortunately they may corrupt a system in on-predicted way.

    Doyou run setup.exe file from running Windows? Did you choose correct language when you've created Windows installation media?

    Sorry for questions may seems stupid but I need an information to understand what happens.

    Please show screenshot of the problem.

    P.S. Do you create backups?

    No registry cleaners. What corrupted the package files was a standard, Windows 10 update in November. Since that time I've had trouble installing Windows updates, though other updates and installs show no problems. As I've stated, I've seen this happen before and a fresh installation from an ISO fixes it, up until now.

    This is the first screen I get when I run Media Creation Tool. Note: If I select "Upgrade this PC now" I get the same problem that is displayed below.

    The options are pre-populated. Since they are correct, I didn't manually change anything.

    This is the only option offered; the delete everything and start over.

    I am NOT trying to install an older version of Windows and Windows is installed in

    c:\Windows

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Igor Leyko 112.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2021-06-15T23:10:56+00:00

    Hi Michael,

    My name is Igor, I'm Independent Advisor. I have 12 Microsoft MVP awards. It's a pleasure for me to help others and I'll do all my best to help you.

    Could it be you've used registry cleaners? unfortunately they may corrupt a system in on-predicted way.

    Doyou run setup.exe file from running Windows? Did you choose correct language when you've created Windows installation media?

    Sorry for questions may seems stupid but I need an information to understand what happens.

    Please show screenshot of the problem.

    P.S. Do you create backups?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments