I have 8gb of ram available but only 3.46 is usable on my windows 10 lenovo laptop.

Anonymous
2021-06-09T10:49:53+00:00

I have 8gb of ram available but only 3.46 is usable on my windows 10 lenovo laptop. I tried doing a BIOS update but it did not update, it said u need a G50-45 build to update. I did have it but my warranty had expired, maybe the reason. I want to know how I can make my laptop use more of the ram that is available. Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Pallav Chakraborty 1,360 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-06-13T07:56:36+00:00

If you keep it as it is, it'll just be a redundant piece of hardware drawing extra power. Just remove it and replace it with a compatible module.

As for performance, Windows 10 performs best with 8GB or more RAM.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-06-11T16:00:21+00:00

    Could you paste the diagnostic log, please?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Neil D 34,340 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2021-06-11T18:37:09+00:00

    If you notice the first screenshot (you say with one module fitted) the total memory appears to be 3.5GB, the second screenshot (you say with both modules fitted) still shows 3.5GB.

    This must mean one module is not detected by windows.

    Show Task Manager again with Memory selected.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-12T02:54:58+00:00

    Yes one of my modules is not being recognized since i could no boot up my pc from that one module

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-06-12T03:02:51+00:00


    Hope this is what you mean, first one is for keyboard, mouse for second, processor for third and Memory for 4th.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments