I have 8gb of ram available but only 3.46 is usable on my windows 10 lenovo laptop.

Anonymous
2021-06-09T10:49:53+00:00

I have 8gb of ram available but only 3.46 is usable on my windows 10 lenovo laptop. I tried doing a BIOS update but it did not update, it said u need a G50-45 build to update. I did have it but my warranty had expired, maybe the reason. I want to know how I can make my laptop use more of the ram that is available. Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Pallav Chakraborty 1,360 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-06-13T07:56:36+00:00

If you keep it as it is, it'll just be a redundant piece of hardware drawing extra power. Just remove it and replace it with a compatible module.

As for performance, Windows 10 performs best with 8GB or more RAM.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Neil D 34,340 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2021-06-11T11:05:45+00:00

    The version and build info is okay. (close enough to the latest to not make a difference) I would either modify the screenshot to remove your email address or remove the screenshot altogether.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-11T11:13:06+00:00

    Thank you so much. Look at Shared GPU memory. It has 1.7 GB. This memory is took from the total RAM. You need to verify your bios settings about video configuration. I suggest you to reset your bios configuration to their default values.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-11T13:30:38+00:00

    So I switched off my laptop, opened the case and removed both the rams. I then kept the first ram (farthest from the screen. But when I switched on my laptop it did not open, the white light was there but screen was black, tried removing and keeping it back but didn't do anything. Then I kept the second one (closest to the screen) and it opened just fine. This is the GPU when the second ram is only used.

    This is the GPU when both rams are used

    Also, my numpad doesn't work now for some reason. Ones above the letters do, but the separate numpad does not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-06-11T14:02:55+00:00

    Not sure what u really mean about verifying my bios settings about video configuration.
    But I did reset the bios to it's default

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments