I have 8gb of ram available but only 3.46 is usable on my windows 10 lenovo laptop.

Anonymous
2021-06-09T10:49:53+00:00

I have 8gb of ram available but only 3.46 is usable on my windows 10 lenovo laptop. I tried doing a BIOS update but it did not update, it said u need a G50-45 build to update. I did have it but my warranty had expired, maybe the reason. I want to know how I can make my laptop use more of the ram that is available. Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Pallav Chakraborty 1,360 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-06-13T07:56:36+00:00

If you keep it as it is, it'll just be a redundant piece of hardware drawing extra power. Just remove it and replace it with a compatible module.

As for performance, Windows 10 performs best with 8GB or more RAM.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-06-09T16:39:20+00:00

    Box must be unticked. Does your laptop comes with 8GB or you added ram after bought it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-10T03:38:52+00:00

    I'm not so sure, it was bought from the US from my uncle. But I do think it came with an 8GB one.
    The box is still ticked, only the value is zero

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-10T10:26:10+00:00

    To confirm if your computer has 4 or 8 GB, follow this procedure, please:

    right click over the taskbar and select Task manager. in the task manager, select Performance tab, then select memory.

    Next to memory title you will see the total of RAM installed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-06-10T12:52:47+00:00

    Image8.0 GB DDR3

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments