I have 8gb of ram available but only 3.46 is usable on my windows 10 lenovo laptop.

Anonymous
2021-06-09T10:49:53+00:00

I have 8gb of ram available but only 3.46 is usable on my windows 10 lenovo laptop. I tried doing a BIOS update but it did not update, it said u need a G50-45 build to update. I did have it but my warranty had expired, maybe the reason. I want to know how I can make my laptop use more of the ram that is available. Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Pallav Chakraborty 1,360 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-06-13T07:56:36+00:00

If you keep it as it is, it'll just be a redundant piece of hardware drawing extra power. Just remove it and replace it with a compatible module.

As for performance, Windows 10 performs best with 8GB or more RAM.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-06-09T11:27:06+00:00

    Hi Simona, my name is Jose. I'm an Independent Advisor and a Windows user like you. I'll be glad to help you today.

    To fix the issue, please select the Start button and type msconfig, then right click over System Configuration and select run as administrator. now select boot tab, then click on Advanced options button. ON the Boot advanced options window, clear the maximum memory box. Click ok button on every msconfig window and restart your computer.

    Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-09T14:54:21+00:00

    Hi Jose, I tried it and restarted my laptop. When I checked the about section on my settings, it still shows only 3.46gb of ram is usable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-09T15:17:14+00:00

    Thanks for your feedback. Did you found maximum memory box ticked?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-06-09T15:25:06+00:00

    I just checked, it is ticked but the value is 0 instead of the 8000 something that showed before the restart.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments