I have 8gb of ram available but only 3.46 is usable on my windows 10 lenovo laptop.

Anonymous
2021-06-09T10:49:53+00:00

I have 8gb of ram available but only 3.46 is usable on my windows 10 lenovo laptop. I tried doing a BIOS update but it did not update, it said u need a G50-45 build to update. I did have it but my warranty had expired, maybe the reason. I want to know how I can make my laptop use more of the ram that is available. Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Pallav Chakraborty 1,360 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-06-13T07:56:36+00:00

If you keep it as it is, it'll just be a redundant piece of hardware drawing extra power. Just remove it and replace it with a compatible module.

As for performance, Windows 10 performs best with 8GB or more RAM.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-06-11T10:56:36+00:00

    Image

    I will now remove and keep back the ram as you said, will be back after that

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Neil D 34,340 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2021-06-11T10:40:28+00:00

    If there are two memory modules there could be a mismatch in the modules and although windows recognises 8GB it uses 4GB for safety.

    Can you check the modules in use by opening the case. Power off, of course and if there are two modules then remove them and insert one at a time and boot windows to see how it reacts to one module at a time and then fit both and check again.

    Check you current Windows 10 version and build, type winver in Search and select the top result, post back the version and build in full.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-11T10:19:36+00:00

    just did.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-06-11T10:05:03+00:00

    Sorry, not sure how much is being used. Could u check from this screenshot. Apologies for the late reply

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments