I have 8gb of ram available but only 3.46 is usable on my windows 10 lenovo laptop.

Anonymous
2021-06-09T10:49:53+00:00

I have 8gb of ram available but only 3.46 is usable on my windows 10 lenovo laptop. I tried doing a BIOS update but it did not update, it said u need a G50-45 build to update. I did have it but my warranty had expired, maybe the reason. I want to know how I can make my laptop use more of the ram that is available. Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Pallav Chakraborty 1,360 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-06-13T07:56:36+00:00

If you keep it as it is, it'll just be a redundant piece of hardware drawing extra power. Just remove it and replace it with a compatible module.

As for performance, Windows 10 performs best with 8GB or more RAM.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-06-12T15:10:20+00:00

    I'm sorry! I've exhausted all of the troubleshooting steps available to me. Can I release your question? Another expert will assist you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-12T14:11:35+00:00

    Shows the same (3.46 usable) on settings.

    Also, I did the memory diagnostic with built in app, but how do I check it

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-12T11:54:14+00:00

    Thank you. Let's try this, please:

    Select Start button and type Regedit, then right click over the app and select Run as administrator. Next expand the following path:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

    Double click over ClearPageFileAtShutdown and change it value from 0 to 1. Next restart your computer and verify again the available ram.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Neil D 34,340 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2021-06-12T11:02:19+00:00

    The bios is restricting one of the modules so windows is allocating hardware reserved. This may mean it is faulty or the wrong type for the computer.

    The only way to resolve this will be to buy a new memory module. You cannot resolve it by changing windows settings.

    You can try windows memory test, type memory in Search and select Windows memory Diagnostics or use Memtest64 (perhaps the better option) from their website and run a full test. https://www.memtest86.com/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments