Audio devices disappear after failed update

Anonymous
2021-06-13T03:17:53+00:00

My computer (i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-Deluxe, 16MB ram) was working fine until it tried an update to KB50003637. During the update, it BSODed with a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error, after which it notified me that the update had failed and attempted to return to its previous state. However, when Windows restarted, I was getting a red X over the speaker icon on the taskbar, along with "No audio output device is installed" and "Speaker Setup (UNKNOWN)" messages when you hover or right-click on the icon, respectively. Running the Audio Troubleshooter only tells me they're sorry that they couldn't fix my problem. I've been using the standard on-board Realtek High Definition audio, and first tried reinstalling the driver, but the problem continued. I checked Device Manager, and both the "Audio inputs and outputs" and "Sound, video, and game controllers" sections had the Realtek device listed, along with the comment that "The device is working properly." I then tried a installing a USB DAC (LH Labs Geek Out 450) I've had sitting around for some time, along with its driver software. Same problem: that device is "working properly," but Windows itself still gives the red X and "No audio output device is installed," etc. messages. Now, this USB DAC has an ASIO driver as part of the software, and apps that can use ASIO (Foobar2000, JRiver Media Center) can be configured to use it via ASIO, and can play audio through it just fine -- but, at the same time, according to Windows, I don't have any audio devices, so none of the programs that don't have ASIO support (the vast majority of them) can't play audio on my computer at all.

Needless to say, I made repeated efforts to reinstall the drivers, with no success. I also repeatedly uninstalled the devices and restarted, but, after the restarts, I had the same devices in place, all "working properly" according to device manager, but unavailable through Windows. I also tried stopping and restarting the "Windows Audio" and "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder" in Services, but that didn't have any effect either.

I checked out the details on each of those drivers in device manager, and found both of them were reporting that the devices could not be migrated because of "due to partial or ambiguous match."

The Realtek device had the following error message in "Events":

Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0900&SUBSYS_1043868F&REV_1000\4&27952083&0&0001 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: TUSBAUDIO_ENUM\VID_2522&PID_0007&KS\00000040
Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFFFFFF132
Present: false
Status: 0xC0000719

while the LH Labs Geek Out had:

Device SWD\MMDEVAPI{0.0.0.00000000}.{8cb2f8d3-e308-4d89-b3e6-84c96dc89425} was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: SWD\MMDEVAPI{0.0.0.00000000}.{1b978cd4-4584-49a4-a00b-b64c043eccc1}
Class Guid: {c166523c-fe0c-4a94-a586-f1a80cfbbf3e}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF00000000000F100
Present: false
Status: 0xC0000451

Can this give any clue on how this problem can be fixed? I've tried every "standard" step for such problems, and am completely at a loss right now. Is there a way I can get back my audio without having to take the drastic step of a clean install?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-06-17T13:14:23+00:00

    Well, apparently mine tried to update itself again and got into one of the crash loops but this time it made it unbootable so I HAVE to do a clean install...

    Repair failed?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-17T09:50:29+00:00

    Well, apparently mine tried to update itself again and got into one of the crash loops but this time it made it unbootable so I HAVE to do a clean install...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-17T09:19:59+00:00

    Whether it's their update per se or whether it just happens to cause problems with certain machine configurations (and we all just happened to be unlucky), I can't say.  But it seems to me that the Windows programmers there need to have a more robust rollback procedure in place.  I can understand that update failures of a BSOD level can happen, and Windows is theoretically designed to detect when an update repeatedly crashes a given machine and roll back the system to where it was before, but there's obviously some flaws in the system when doing so not only introduces a problem, but a problem that cannot be fixed with either a repair install or a system restore from an earlier restore point.  The latter is particularly concerning from my point of view; because it means the whole system restore system has some fundamental bugs that may cause it to fail just where one needs it the most.

    I do really appreciate Greg Carmack's efforts here, and grant that it's likely a clean install will result in a improved and more reliable computer, but there should never be a case where a "pushed" update can screw up users' computers to the point where that is the only solution.  It seems to me that Microsoft needs to realize that not everybody is an average home user with, maybe, an e-mail client, a web browser, and maybe a copy of Office, and with all their work neatly arranged in their user folder.  My work in photography and video takes up two large internal drives, and my music-server adds a third.  (Seriously, if everything were being kept in my user folder, I'd need a 16TB SSD as a boot drive.)  And, as I said before, my work involves many different programs, plug-ins, etc., some of which have to interact with others, and some of which I may only need every few years but are absolutely essential to be working correctly when I do need them.  Trying to rebuild such an environment after a clean install is a daunting task, and I'll never be sure I've really done it fully unless and until I find, however far down the line, that I need a given tool and can't get it to set up properly.  As much as I wish I could just clean-install, gradually add my presumed  handful of applications back to the system, and copy my Documents, Music, Videos, etc. back to my newly created user directory and consider the job done, it just isn't the case.  And the thought that, even should I pull this off without a hitch this time, I'm just one flawed forced update away from having to do it all again, just because Windows' rollback provisions (whether it be an automatic one after a crashed update or a system restore that doesn't really restore the system fully) aren't reliable is deeply depressing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-06-17T09:01:49+00:00

    Here's a quick question:  In your clean install article, you mention backing up your credentials (which I have done), but nothing about restoring them.  I would assume one is supposed to restore them at some point, but how soon after finishing the new install should one do so?  Instinctively, I would guess it should be done right away, but I have no idea if that's right or not.  Can you advise me on this, please?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-06-16T14:04:38+00:00

    Wow, amazing. Microsoft needs to release a fix to this because it is their update that basically rendered our PC's half useless...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments