Audio devices disappear after failed update

Anonymous
2021-06-13T03:17:53+00:00

My computer (i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-Deluxe, 16MB ram) was working fine until it tried an update to KB50003637. During the update, it BSODed with a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error, after which it notified me that the update had failed and attempted to return to its previous state. However, when Windows restarted, I was getting a red X over the speaker icon on the taskbar, along with "No audio output device is installed" and "Speaker Setup (UNKNOWN)" messages when you hover or right-click on the icon, respectively. Running the Audio Troubleshooter only tells me they're sorry that they couldn't fix my problem. I've been using the standard on-board Realtek High Definition audio, and first tried reinstalling the driver, but the problem continued. I checked Device Manager, and both the "Audio inputs and outputs" and "Sound, video, and game controllers" sections had the Realtek device listed, along with the comment that "The device is working properly." I then tried a installing a USB DAC (LH Labs Geek Out 450) I've had sitting around for some time, along with its driver software. Same problem: that device is "working properly," but Windows itself still gives the red X and "No audio output device is installed," etc. messages. Now, this USB DAC has an ASIO driver as part of the software, and apps that can use ASIO (Foobar2000, JRiver Media Center) can be configured to use it via ASIO, and can play audio through it just fine -- but, at the same time, according to Windows, I don't have any audio devices, so none of the programs that don't have ASIO support (the vast majority of them) can't play audio on my computer at all.

Needless to say, I made repeated efforts to reinstall the drivers, with no success. I also repeatedly uninstalled the devices and restarted, but, after the restarts, I had the same devices in place, all "working properly" according to device manager, but unavailable through Windows. I also tried stopping and restarting the "Windows Audio" and "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder" in Services, but that didn't have any effect either.

I checked out the details on each of those drivers in device manager, and found both of them were reporting that the devices could not be migrated because of "due to partial or ambiguous match."

The Realtek device had the following error message in "Events":

Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0900&SUBSYS_1043868F&REV_1000\4&27952083&0&0001 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: TUSBAUDIO_ENUM\VID_2522&PID_0007&KS\00000040
Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFFFFFF132
Present: false
Status: 0xC0000719

while the LH Labs Geek Out had:

Device SWD\MMDEVAPI{0.0.0.00000000}.{8cb2f8d3-e308-4d89-b3e6-84c96dc89425} was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: SWD\MMDEVAPI{0.0.0.00000000}.{1b978cd4-4584-49a4-a00b-b64c043eccc1}
Class Guid: {c166523c-fe0c-4a94-a586-f1a80cfbbf3e}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF00000000000F100
Present: false
Status: 0xC0000451

Can this give any clue on how this problem can be fixed? I've tried every "standard" step for such problems, and am completely at a loss right now. Is there a way I can get back my audio without having to take the drastic step of a clean install?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-06-14T05:48:33+00:00

    How does an Win 10 update ruin my audio output and if so many report it many places does MS not fix it? I am older and read all of this but does that mean my pc is ruined for sound? bc i am not a techie? who is responsible for this? It is definitely damage to my perfectly working machine and no support has contacted me after repeated help responses.

    my device manager says all my sound devices are there .. found .. and drivers not need updated. Someone is responsible for this and the non response from MS for so many people have same problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-14T03:48:08+00:00

    try resetting your computer in settings

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-14T02:33:19+00:00

    Did you update the BIOS and chipset? You said the Display adapter driver is not resolved yet but it can affect this because it often has audio elements. The Display driver is so important here that merely updating it is sometimes not enough. So let's try everything possible to get it working correctly:

    First make sure you have updated the Display driver from the PC or Display adapter maker's Support Downloads web page for your exact model number, HP Serial Number or Dell Service Tag - from the sticker on the PC.

    If necessary first remove the old driver using DDU https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/ddu-guide-t... (not necessary with Microsoft Basic driver which is a placeholder if nothing else is available) and/or install in Safe Mode with Networking (so you have internet), or Safe Mode, accessed by one of these methods: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-saf...

    While there check also for newer chipset, BIOS/UEFI firmware (very important), network, sound, USB3 and other drivers, comparing to the ones presently installed in Device Manager reached by right clicking the Start Menu.

    If this doesn't give you the latest or ideal driver for what you need, compare it to the driver offered by the Intel driver update Utility here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/...

    or the Nvidia Update utility here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=e...

    or the AMD autodect utility here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/P...

    For Display issues one fix that is working is to Roll back or Uninstall the Driver on the Display Device > Driver tab, restart PC to reinstall driver.

    You can also try older drivers in Device Manager > Display device > Driver tab > Update Driver > Browse > Let Me Pick.

    Then you will know you've tried everything in addition to Windows Update drivers.

    Adjust the screen resolution until it fits and looks best at Settings > System > Display.

    Then watch WIndows Updates which may push a new monitor driver based on the display driver you now have installed.

    Let's look further at Realtek Audio Device not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match and every meaningful guide that's been compiled for it:

    https://borncity.com/win/2017/03/15/windows-10-...

    https://www.tenorshare.com/fix-windows/device-w...

    https://www.devicetricks.com/device-not-migrate...

    https://www.minitool.com/news/device-not-migrat...

    https://tencomputer.com/device-not-migrated-win...

    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/device-not-migra...

    (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro and Reimage ads)

    https://blogs.systweak.com/multiple-ways-to-fix...

    https://windows10skill.com/device-not-migrated-...

    Keep me posted on your progress as I will be here to help until the case is resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-06-14T01:10:46+00:00
    1. Unfortunately, I have no System Restore points before the failed update (don't know why, because I used to have them).
    2. All relevant drivers installed from ASUS download page. (This did not include the VGA driver, which seemed designed for CPUs with integrated graphics.) It didn't help the issue.

    The audio driver downloaded from the ASUS site (6.0.1.8158 released 2017-06-07) installation resulted in the following event:

    Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0900&SUBSYS_1043868F&REV_1000\4&27952083&0&0001 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

    Last Device Instance Id: TUSBAUDIO_ENUM\VID_2522&PID_0007&KS\00000040
    Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Location Path:
    Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFFFFFF132
    Present: false
    Status: 0xC0000719

    I also tried installing a version, indicated as being for Windows 10 x64 (6.0.1.8186 released 2017-06-14) downloaded from Realtek's own site. That gave an identical event:

    Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0900&SUBSYS_1043868F&REV_1000\4&27952083&0&0001 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

    Last Device Instance Id: TUSBAUDIO_ENUM\VID_2522&PID_0007&KS\00000040
    Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Location Path:
    Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFFFFFF132
    Present: false
    Status: 0xC0000719

    1. Went through all six recommended methods, without success. The one that required uninstalling the audio device and then scanning for new hardware reinstalled the same driver as before (6.0.1.8186), with the identical "Device not migrated" event:

    Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0900&SUBSYS_1043868F&REV_1000\4&27952083&0&0001 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

    Last Device Instance Id: TUSBAUDIO_ENUM\VID_2522&PID_0007&KS\00000040
    Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Location Path:
    Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFFFFFF132
    Present: false
    Status: 0xC0000719

    1. Went through all the checklists (most of which were steps I had already taken in the sections above, or which presupposed that I had an audio device visible through Windows that I could configure, when the problem is that Windows isn't seeing any audio devices at all). Obviously, nothing worked.
    2. When I click on "Open Sound Settings" after right-clicking on the speaker icon, I get the Sound settings page, with "No output devices found." If I go from there to "Manage sound devices," I just get a list of all devices that is completely blank.
    3. The troubleshooter returns the message "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem." Going to "View detailed information" simply tells me "There might be a problem with your audio device."
    4. The only two drivers I have access to are the ones I already tried (6.0.1.8158 and 6.0.1.8186). Neither works, and both result in the "not migrated" event I posted above. I would note that 6.0.1.8158, the one downloaded from ASUS, appears to be the more compatible; although neither work, that version at least detects when a cable is plugged into or unplugged from an audio jack, and allows one to open the Realtek HD Audio Manager, while the driver downloaded from Realtek does not. Incidentally, when one opens the Realtek Audio Manager, all it displays is a message that "You are seeing a blank page because there is no audio devices plugged in the system. To activate GUI, please plug an audio device in the system." I tried installing that driver in Compatibility Mode (for Windows 8, which is what the compatibility troubleshooter suggested), but it had no effect.
    5. Tried all the relevant steps. Unfortunately, the problem persisted.
    6. I actually did a repair install before posting my thread. It had the advantage of updating my Windows from 20H2 to 21H1, but it did not fix the problem with the audio. (It also then tried to reinstall KB50003637, which failed with a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, as before.)

    So, basically, I've tried everything on the list, most often several times, with no success. It seems likely to me that the "not migrated" event seems to be at the root of the problem, and that this first manifested itself after KB500003637 failed and Windows tried to roll me back to the previous state. (In fairness, I will grant that my days as a programmer were almost two decades ago, and never involved O.S. development, so I don't have a particular "crystal ball" on this issue.) Unfortunately, the only steps the WindowsReport link at the top of your reply can suggest to fix that specific problem involve either updating the driver, uninstalling and reinstalling the device, or going back to a previous system restore point, all of which I have either done with no effect or am unable to do at all. I wish I had had the foresight to create a system restore point before letting Windows Update try to do its thing, but hindsight is 20/20 and, to be fair, I've never had it create problems like this before. I thank you in advance for any help you can give me in getting this resolved without having to resort to the drastic step of a clean install.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-06-13T04:08:54+00:00

    Hi James. I'm Greg, an Independent Advisor.

    See fixes for the Device Not Migrated error on your sound devices:

    https://windowsreport.com/device-not-migrated-p... (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro and Reimage ads)

    I'll give you all possible solutions for Sound problems in order of priority, so please try any you've already tried again in order. If you have any problems performing any steps I'll be standing by here to help you.

    1. See if you can System Restore to a point before the problem began following this guide: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-r...

    System Restore is your first line of defense and can take you back to a point before a problem began. If it doesn't help then you can undo it. Read about it first in the tutorial above and then try restoring to just before this started.

    If the problem repeats or System Restore doesn't work then check which Windows Updates were installed at Settings > Update & Security > Windows Updates > Update History, uninstall them there or System Restore again, then immediately check for and block the Updates with the Hide Updates tool explained here: https://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninsta...

    1. Update the sound driver from the PC or device maker's Support Downloads webpage for your exact model, Serial Number or Dell Service Tag. Go into Device Manager reached by right clicking the Start button, compare to make sure you also have the latest BIOS, Chipset, Display, Network and all other drivers.

    If necessary try installing the driver in Safe Mode with Networking (so you have internet), or Safe Mode, accessed by one of these methods: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-saf...

    1. Restore the Windows Audio Service which may have become disabled: https://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/fix-audio-servi...
    2. Next try these checklists:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-US/help/402699...

    https://www.howtogeek.com/443702/how-to-fix-sou...

    Also reset the prompt to ask for which device was plugged in here:

    https://windowsreport.com/you-just-plugged-unpl...

    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/En...

    https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-10/How-g...

    1. Right click Volume icon in System Tray, choose Sound Settings, from the Output and Input devices dropdown menus, choose then one(s) affected to see if that helps. If not use the Troubleshoot button nearby.
    2. Run the Playing Sound troubleshooter at Start button > Settings>Update & Security>Troubleshoot.
    3. Try rolling back the sound drivers in Device Manager reached by right clicking the Start button. Choose Sound controller and other audio devices, then Driver tab, then Roll back if available.

    If no newer sound drivers then uninstall the one presently installed in Device Manager, reached by right clicking the Start Button. Restart PC to reinstall.

    Try other and older drivers for your model Sound controller, too. For example, try the next oldest driver in the model's online Support Downloads list. To try all previous drivers installed on your system, in Device Manager choose Sound controller's Driver tab, then Update Driver, then Browse, then Let Me Pick.

    Finally, try installing the latest Sound driver in Compatibility Mode as shown here:

    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/win...

    1. Go over this checklist to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs get done: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/wiki...

    Start with Step 4 to turn off Startup freeloaders which can conflict and cause issues, then Step 7 to check for infection the most thorough way, then step 10 to check for damaged System Files. Then continue with the other steps to go over your install most thoroughly.

    1. If nothing else helps then run a Repair Install by installing the Media Creation Tool and choosing from it to Upgrade Now. This solves many problems and will also bring it up to the latest version which you need anyway and by the most stable method. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/m...

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    ________________________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments