High "system" process disk usage

Anonymous
2021-07-20T15:06:03+00:00

I am having this issue from yesterday. My computer suddenly slow down. I went to task manager and saw system process at top of task manager window. I tried lot of stuff and did not work. I updated windows some days ago. I need help ASAP cause I use this computer for class.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-24T14:01:25+00:00

    It's one way to isolate the cause of the issue. While in Safe Mode, Windows only use a limited set of files and drivers.

    If high disk usage doesn't happen while in Safe Mode then one of the 3rd-party drivers might be the one causing the System to have a high disk usage.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-07-24T12:21:32+00:00

    Why i need to reboot to safe mode?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-07-24T09:57:03+00:00

    Yes, It will remove your installed apps but your personal files are safe.

    I agree that the SFC command might also help because it will fix and replace corrupted system files.

    Anyway, Can you try to start the PC in Safe Mode and see if the System will still have high Disk consumption.

    To start in Safe Mode.

    1. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    2. Type msconfig in the Open box and then select OK.
    3. Select the Boot tab.
    4. Under Boot options, click the Safe boot checkbox.
    5. Apply and restart PC.

    Let me know the result.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-07-24T07:00:35+00:00

    Hey again,

    I don't want to reset cause I have lot of work applications and files. I am doing sfc system file cheacker. Trying other methods

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-07-23T17:09:47+00:00

    Hi YeasirVU,

    I'm Paul, an Independent Advisor. I hope I can help you with your concern.

    I recommend that you reset the PC.

    Open Settings >> Update & Security >> Recovery >> Under Reset this PC, click Get Started >> Make sure to choose "Keep my Files" >> Follow the on-screen instructions.

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments