Wipe HDD & Re-Install Windows ME

Anonymous
2021-07-14T08:09:11+00:00

I'm hoping someone can help me out as I'm a little stuck. I have an old Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop running Windows ME. Me intention is to wipe the HDD so I can sell/recycle it safely, but I'm really stuck how to do this.

Few extras:

  • I have a floppy drive, but no floppy disks to create a startup disk (and I'm hoping that's not the only way)
  • I have a "Reinstallation CD WMe" that came with the laptop, but I get the impression it's not something I can boot from. I could be wrong – if it was bootable I expected to be shown the option on startup.

Any advice would be very welcome!

Windows for home | Other | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-15T07:57:28+00:00

    Morning Dave,

    Looks like the formatting did the trick and the HDD is wiped, with a fully fresh install of Windows ME.

    Only issue I seem to have now is that Windows doesn't seem to be recognising the native monitor size and I'm getting the below. There's nothing in display settings I can see that helps – the resolution control there doesn't move or let you change it. I also tried searching for different drivers on the Windows ME CD-ROM but couldn't find anything.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. DaveM121 935.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2021-07-15T08:01:47+00:00

    Morning Taffston,

    Below is the support page for your system on the Dell website, change the OS drop down to Windows Millennium and then install all required drivers including the video card driver for the ATI Mobility 3 / Mobility 4, v. M6.58-010809m-1802C, A08

    https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ie/product...

    ________________________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

    .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-07-15T13:24:36+00:00

    You're a superhero Dave! I think I'm all set, that worked a charm.

    Wishing you all the best and here's to better season than the last one!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. DaveM121 935.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2021-07-15T13:31:43+00:00

    Hi Taffston, no problem, glad to help, ah, I don't think we will have a good season for a while!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments