Hi Taffston,
Another approach may be to install Windows millennium, then create a new user profile and delete the old profile that contains your personal files.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I'm hoping someone can help me out as I'm a little stuck. I have an old Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop running Windows ME. Me intention is to wipe the HDD so I can sell/recycle it safely, but I'm really stuck how to do this.
Few extras:
Any advice would be very welcome!
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Taffston,
Another approach may be to install Windows millennium, then create a new user profile and delete the old profile that contains your personal files.
No, I'm definitely in command prompt now from restart and getting "Bad command or file name" when entering "diskpart"
Good point. On startup up BIOS is giving me the option each time to boot from HDD or CD-ROM, and I've been selecting CD-ROM and then select the option to enter command prompt straight after that step. So perhaps that's why. I can't work out any way of booting into command prompt without selecting this option.
I tried hitting F10 at start but no joy. Nothing in BIOS that I can see that helps me.
Hi Taffston,
Okay, try running this command instead of diskpart:
format c:
Still no joy unfortunately, I get the same "Bad command..." message when trying "format c:".
I think my replies are being stopped by the forum anti-spam measures or something because I keep getting "Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again." error messages when trying to reply to your posts! I guess I'm replying too often or something.