Hi Taffston,
Are you still booting from the Installation Disk, or are you actually inside the installed Windows Millennium?
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I'm hoping someone can help me out as I'm a little stuck. I have an old Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop running Windows ME. Me intention is to wipe the HDD so I can sell/recycle it safely, but I'm really stuck how to do this.
Few extras:
Any advice would be very welcome!
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Taffston,
Are you still booting from the Installation Disk, or are you actually inside the installed Windows Millennium?
I get "Bad command or file name" when typing "diskpart" after "C:>"
Hi Taffston,
If you are in Command Prompt, try running these commands to wipe the drive:
Run this command and hit Enter:
diskpart
Run this command and hit Enter:
list disk
(Make note of the disk number you want to wipe and enter it into the next command - replace X)
Run this command and hit Enter:
select disk X
Run this command and hit Enter:
clean
Run this command and hit Enter:
convert mbr
Then close Command Prompt
Actually I've got to command prompt by exiting the installer, so I'm in there now. Didn't know that would happen.
Hi Taffston,
It has been so long since I used that ME Installer.
If you boot from the Installation disk, then tap the F10 key does that open Command Prompt in the Installation routine?