Thanks for all your support today Dave, really appreciate it.
The format seems to have gone fine and I'm still in the process of re-installing ME. Hopefully on the home straight!
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I'm hoping someone can help me out as I'm a little stuck. I have an old Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop running Windows ME. Me intention is to wipe the HDD so I can sell/recycle it safely, but I'm really stuck how to do this.
Few extras:
Any advice would be very welcome!
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Thanks for all your support today Dave, really appreciate it.
The format seems to have gone fine and I'm still in the process of re-installing ME. Hopefully on the home straight!
Hi Taffston,
That's great, it really is, that will remove all data from the drive and you will then have a clean drive to re-install Windows Millennium onto.
Think I've got somewhere!
I opened Windows and inspected the contents of the CD in my D: drive and spotted the system folder was called 'WIN9X'. I rebooted with CD support and landed in cmd again and this time tried:
D:
cd win9x
format C:
And it seems to be working! It's in the middle of reformatting now!
Will let you know what happens
Hi Taffston
Those should not survive a full clan install, and if you canget into Command prompt from the Installation media, this command should format your drive totally and remove all files:
format C: /q
I have just looked through all the screenshots you have provided and nowhere do I see the option to format the drive or to enter Command Prompt, this is very strange.
All my documents are still there in My Documents and any extra apps I installed myself are still all there. I.e. when windows opens up you wouldn't know you'd done anything. It all looks the same.