Wipe HDD & Re-Install Windows ME

Anonymous
2021-07-14T08:09:11+00:00

I'm hoping someone can help me out as I'm a little stuck. I have an old Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop running Windows ME. Me intention is to wipe the HDD so I can sell/recycle it safely, but I'm really stuck how to do this.

Few extras:

  • I have a floppy drive, but no floppy disks to create a startup disk (and I'm hoping that's not the only way)
  • I have a "Reinstallation CD WMe" that came with the laptop, but I get the impression it's not something I can boot from. I could be wrong – if it was bootable I expected to be shown the option on startup.

Any advice would be very welcome!

Windows for home | Other | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-14T11:54:05+00:00

    Going to try again to enter command prompt after restart. I don't know what this is that I'm looking at (it looks exactly like cmd), but something's not right. Maybe when exiting the installer it takes you somewhere strange.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. DaveM121 936.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2021-07-14T11:53:09+00:00

    Hi Taffston,

    Are you still booting from the Installation Disk, or are you actually inside the installed Windows Millennium?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-07-14T11:46:15+00:00

    I get "Bad command or file name" when typing "diskpart" after "C:>"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. DaveM121 936.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2021-07-14T11:41:44+00:00

    Hi Taffston,

    If you are in Command Prompt, try running these commands to wipe the drive:

    Run this command and hit Enter:

    diskpart

    Run this command and hit Enter:

    list disk

    (Make note of the disk number you want to wipe and enter it into the next command - replace X)

    Run this command and hit Enter:

    select disk X

    Run this command and hit Enter:

    clean

    Run this command and hit Enter:

    convert mbr

    Then close Command Prompt

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-07-14T11:39:27+00:00

    Actually I've got to command prompt by exiting the installer, so I'm in there now. Didn't know that would happen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments