Green checkmarks on desktop icons

Anonymous
2020-12-23T01:29:03+00:00

How do I get rid of the green check marks on my desktop icons and photos in windows 10?

I must have done something, but I don't know what---today, when I went to my photos, there's these checkmarks on each photo--

I googled and can't seem to fix it---the word Drop Box comes up and I have no idea what that is--

Can someone help?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-03-14T18:12:21+00:00

rightclick your desktop

refresh

worked for me

Was this answer helpful?

1200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
John DeV 170.2K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2020-12-23T02:09:43+00:00

Hello MaryWilliamsRN,

I'm John an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I'll be happy to assist you today. I understand you have a problem with green check marks on your icons on windows 10.

This indicates that those files are synchronized with Microsoft OneDrive

Look for OneDrive(Cloud) icon on the bottom right side of your taskbar (system tray)

Right click it then select Close OneDrive

Click Close OneDrive again

If it doesn't work, Safely restart your PC

Kindly let me know if this helps or if you have any further concerns.

Sincerely,

John DeV

Independent Advisor

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-01-15T00:05:21+00:00

    I have FINALLY got Norton to remove the green boxes with white checkmarks off my photos and other misc. documents!! I've been working on this for months! First, I want to thank whoever thought that Norton was the culprit! I finally got a representative to help me. We tried 3 times to get him into my computer. I needed an app from Microsoft store. He could see my screen but couldn't use the remote - he told me what to do. Here goes- good luck!!

    Go to Norton 360. It is on my desktop. Open it. You will see 4 Options - Device Security, Secure VPN, Cloud Backup and Password Mgr. Click on DEVICE SECURITY. It brings you to the page where it tells you how your security looks and if you want to run a scan. At the top of that page, hit SETTINGS. There is a list. Look for BACKUP STATUS OVERLAYS and UNCLICK IT. Close it all and RESTART! The green boxes with white checkmarks are GONE from my computer. Hope this works for you all!

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-01-14T22:10:51+00:00

    This is about the response to removing the checkmarks from file icons.

    1. I did not intentionally install onedrive on my computer.
    2. It showed up in my file explorer as an icon in the Quick Access section.
    3. It never showed up in the Applications Tray as a little white or blue cloud.
    4. I used the applications install remove tool to remove the program. Restarted my computer and the Quick Access Icon is still there and all the stupid green check marks are all over the place.
    5. I use a backup program and don't need to access ALL my files from any other location except my computer.

    So, I just want to return to a nice clean screen with out the notion that MicroSoft is looking over my shoulder and messing around with my stuff. Is that to much to ask?

    What ever happened to the wonderful world of DOS and just a directory system to access your files and programs???

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-24T02:56:18+00:00

    That is an important cautionary tale. Thanks for sharing it. Glad you were able to recover. I dimly recall similar problems happening way back in Win 98 when users messed with shortcut arrows in the Registry. Arrows have a purpose & really should be left alone. Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments