Can't connect Galaxy S20+ to Windows 10 PC - "We're having issues authenticating your devices"

Anonymous
2020-12-03T05:15:00+00:00

I'm trying to link my Galaxy S20+ to my Windows 10 PC via the Your Phone Windows app and am getting the following error as soon as I select "Android" and click Continue: 

In the Link to Windows settings on my phone, I click "Add computer" and scan the QR code, which takes me to this endless loading screen that says - "Check your PC - We're checking one more thing on your PC before we ask for a final permission":

Additionally, when I click "Done" on my PC, it also has an endless loading wheel.

Both my phone and PC are connected to the same WiFi network.

Troubleshooting I've tried:

  • Restarted my PC
  • Restarted my phone
  • Logged into my Microsoft account in the browser and removed my linked phone
  • Clicked the Repair button in the Your Phone app settings on my PC
  • Clicked the Reset button in the Your Phone app settings on my PC
  • Clicked the Terminate button in the Your Phone app settings on my PC
  • Uninstalled Your Phone via Powershell and reinstalled it on my PC
  • Updated my drivers on my PC
  • Allowed Your Phone to run in background on my PC
  • Turned on Share Across Devices on my PC
  • Disabled Battery Saver on my PC
  • Force Stopped, Cleared Cache, and Cleared Data for Your Phone Companion on my phone
  • Removed the Your Phone Companion Microsoft account from Link to Windows settings on my phone
  • Turned on notifications for Your Phone on my phone
  • Turned on Your Phone under Accessibility settings on my phone
  • Made sure that Airplane Mode, Do Not Disturb, and networking metering are all turned off in my phone
  • Reset network settings in my phone
  • Went into my router settings and set my DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  • Performed an in-place "Upgrade Now" Windows re-install

Any help would be appreciated!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Connect Phone and PC

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-12-03T23:53:01+00:00

    I am really glad to hear it!

    So you were trying to authenticate with an older school email instead of your present Admin account? Or was it interfering some other way? The reason I ask is I am seeing a lot of cases where School and Work accounts interfere with normal Microsoft Accounts by imposing the organization's Group Policy on them which should be restricted to the School or Work account. It's bad enough I'm ready to advise to not use a school or work account on a personal PC, or to work with the school/work IT desk to get control of your PC back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-12-04T01:55:14+00:00

    I hadn't used the school email account in over a year. I'd honestly forgotten it was even linked. This whole time I've been trying to link my phone via my day-to-day admin email - I checked the School and Work accounts settings this morning on a whim, which is where I discovered that there was a connection problem with the school account.

    I think you may be on to something with the school and work accounts overreaching with their group policies.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-12-04T02:07:17+00:00

    Did you see any signs as to why an older unused account was interfering with authenticating Your Phone with a completely different personal account? This would be really important to know, to help others. Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-12-04T03:05:32+00:00

    When I logged in this morning, there was a pop-up - I think just a Windows system pop-up - that said something about one of my accounts needing authentication. I was kind of groggy and clicked through it. But suddenly the word "accounts" rang a bell in my head and made me remember my old school account that I'd linked, which is what inspired me to check my School and Work Accounts settings and ultimately discover the culprit.

    In other words, I'm not sure where the "accounts needing authentication" pop-up this morning stemmed from (i.e. the Your Phone app vs. an unrelated system process). For whatever reason, though, this morning was the first time it appeared - in my previous two days of troubleshooting, all the Your Phone alerts referred to having issues with authenticating "devices", and never mentioned the word "accounts".

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-12-04T03:21:53+00:00

    Is it possible it was trying to authenticate against the old school account? The reason I ask is I'm not sure how another account could interfere with this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments