Can't connect Galaxy S20+ to Windows 10 PC - "We're having issues authenticating your devices"

Anonymous
2020-12-03T05:15:00+00:00

I'm trying to link my Galaxy S20+ to my Windows 10 PC via the Your Phone Windows app and am getting the following error as soon as I select "Android" and click Continue: 

In the Link to Windows settings on my phone, I click "Add computer" and scan the QR code, which takes me to this endless loading screen that says - "Check your PC - We're checking one more thing on your PC before we ask for a final permission":

Additionally, when I click "Done" on my PC, it also has an endless loading wheel.

Both my phone and PC are connected to the same WiFi network.

Troubleshooting I've tried:

  • Restarted my PC
  • Restarted my phone
  • Logged into my Microsoft account in the browser and removed my linked phone
  • Clicked the Repair button in the Your Phone app settings on my PC
  • Clicked the Reset button in the Your Phone app settings on my PC
  • Clicked the Terminate button in the Your Phone app settings on my PC
  • Uninstalled Your Phone via Powershell and reinstalled it on my PC
  • Updated my drivers on my PC
  • Allowed Your Phone to run in background on my PC
  • Turned on Share Across Devices on my PC
  • Disabled Battery Saver on my PC
  • Force Stopped, Cleared Cache, and Cleared Data for Your Phone Companion on my phone
  • Removed the Your Phone Companion Microsoft account from Link to Windows settings on my phone
  • Turned on notifications for Your Phone on my phone
  • Turned on Your Phone under Accessibility settings on my phone
  • Made sure that Airplane Mode, Do Not Disturb, and networking metering are all turned off in my phone
  • Reset network settings in my phone
  • Went into my router settings and set my DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  • Performed an in-place "Upgrade Now" Windows re-install

Any help would be appreciated!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Connect Phone and PC

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-12-03T06:30:00+00:00

    Ok, thank you. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, I just want a solution for this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-12-03T06:35:25+00:00

    You didn't hurt my feelings, I simply thought you might want someone else to help you. If not then I can suggest a few things to try. But I still think it is a server issue and you should try again tomorrow since the same error is found for many other issues that prove to be server overload.

    Did you do a Repair Install? Was there any change afterward at all?

    Did you try Step 17 in the checklist you said you completed (in record time!) to create a new test Local Admin account to see if account corruption is involved here?

    Did you also do Step 10 from the checklist to see if there are any broken system files that could be at fault?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-12-03T07:37:17+00:00

    I want to believe it's a server issue that will resolve on its own, but the fact that I've had the same issue for more than 36 hours now makes me doubt that 😔.

    As I said, I completed everything in your checklist, including the in-place Repair Install, the Local Admin account, and the sfc /scannow routine. (I saw your first response copy-pasted on a few other threads and had already gone through it before I posted here, but I double-checked and repeated a few of the steps anyway.)

    As you can see from the list in my first post of the troubleshooting steps I've tried, I've already put a significant amount of time into trying different angles with this. I made my post here as a last resort hoping to get some fresh input.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-12-03T08:20:35+00:00

    Everything that's latest and works best to fix the Phone app is in that list I keep updated with the latest fixes. It is a volatile app which has never worked for me. Fortunately I have Dell Mobile connect which came with my laptop which works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-12-03T22:19:44+00:00

    Guys, I figured it out. I had linked a school email address to my PC ages ago, and apparently the email account just got deactivated, because Windows could no longer connect to it. On my PC I went to Settings -> Accounts -> Access work or school -> Clicked on the account -> Disconnect.

    Tried the Your Phone linking process again and breezed through it, working great now. Thanks for your efforts Greg!

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments