Can't connect Galaxy S20+ to Windows 10 PC - "We're having issues authenticating your devices"

Anonymous
2020-12-03T05:15:00+00:00

I'm trying to link my Galaxy S20+ to my Windows 10 PC via the Your Phone Windows app and am getting the following error as soon as I select "Android" and click Continue: 

In the Link to Windows settings on my phone, I click "Add computer" and scan the QR code, which takes me to this endless loading screen that says - "Check your PC - We're checking one more thing on your PC before we ask for a final permission":

Additionally, when I click "Done" on my PC, it also has an endless loading wheel.

Both my phone and PC are connected to the same WiFi network.

Troubleshooting I've tried:

  • Restarted my PC
  • Restarted my phone
  • Logged into my Microsoft account in the browser and removed my linked phone
  • Clicked the Repair button in the Your Phone app settings on my PC
  • Clicked the Reset button in the Your Phone app settings on my PC
  • Clicked the Terminate button in the Your Phone app settings on my PC
  • Uninstalled Your Phone via Powershell and reinstalled it on my PC
  • Updated my drivers on my PC
  • Allowed Your Phone to run in background on my PC
  • Turned on Share Across Devices on my PC
  • Disabled Battery Saver on my PC
  • Force Stopped, Cleared Cache, and Cleared Data for Your Phone Companion on my phone
  • Removed the Your Phone Companion Microsoft account from Link to Windows settings on my phone
  • Turned on notifications for Your Phone on my phone
  • Turned on Your Phone under Accessibility settings on my phone
  • Made sure that Airplane Mode, Do Not Disturb, and networking metering are all turned off in my phone
  • Reset network settings in my phone
  • Went into my router settings and set my DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  • Performed an in-place "Upgrade Now" Windows re-install

Any help would be appreciated!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Connect Phone and PC

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-12-08T16:36:07+00:00

    I was having the same problem on the same model phone.  I removed old accounts that I had in there and the app immediately connected without requiring that I follow any of the previous steps again.  It seems the app was set up properly, but something with these old accounts was preventing it from finishing the setup process.  Strange behavior, but at least you found the solution.  Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-12-08T14:21:40+00:00

    So this all worked great for a day or two now i am also having authentication issues.

    Tried all the fixes, even the one that worked for OP but im still stuck in limbo.

    Great idea but terrible execution and consistency

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-12-07T13:20:38+00:00

    This discussion has been incredibly helpful.

    Ever since I updated my password for my personal Microsoft account, Your Phone Companion has not worked showing the "difficulties authenticating your device" message discussed above.

    I worked through all the troubleshooting tips several times to no avail until I found this discussion.

    As soon as I disconnected my Work/School account via Settings -> Accounts -> Access Work or School, YPC began working again.

    However, to access my Office 365 Apps, I need for my Work/School account to be connected so I reconnected it. So far so good but I will update this post if things change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-12-05T23:17:27+00:00

    Thank you so much for this!  I had the same issue with the work account and your solution fixed it!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-12-04T03:57:50+00:00

    Well I'm glad you got it fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments