PC freezes after being left idle for a few hours

Anonymous
2020-12-05T05:23:57+00:00

Hi all, my computer has been 'freezing' after bring left idle ever since i updated to Windows Version 20H2. Actually it might not even be the update but I'm not quite sure what is the issue here also :(

Here's what happened:

  • Left computer on overnight, with google chrome and telegram messenger minimized
  • In the morning, opened up chrome (at the YouTube page since last night), clicking on buttons on the website doesn't do anything. The start button still works, but clicking on any apps wont do anything. Also, I've realized that the telegram animated stickers previews are now all not moving anymore, and so did my animated wallpaper.
  • Used my phone to try to connect to my computer via Google remote desktop, says my computer is offline??

I'm using a custom build PC, bought it not too long ago on 11 June 2020, so I doubt there should be any hardware issues?

Did a full restore on 3 Nov 2020, but it still freezes after leaving it idle for a few hours.

Here are my PC specs:

r7 3700x

msi x570 tomahawk WIFI

gskill trident z neo 3600mhz 32gb kit

samsung 970evo plus 500gb nvme m.2

toshiba p300 2tb 7200rpm

msi rtx2060 super 8gb gaming x 

seasonic focus+ gx 750w 80+ gold

Windows specs:

Edition Windows 10 Home

Version 20H2

Installed on ‎3/‎11/‎2020

OS build 19042.630

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-05-23T11:03:39+00:00

Had the exact same symptoms as OP ever since i upgraded from a Ryzen 7 1700 to a 3700x on a Asus Crosshair VI Hero. Tried pretty much everything the internet suggested although i dont even use Corsair Link or NZXT CAM, i've been using the old Aura Sync to control my RGB. 

For the people still searching for a solution, try to disable Global C-state control in the BIOS: 

I tried that as a last effort before returning the processor back but after1 week of use i have yet to experience a "freeze" with the C-state Control disabled. 

I will report back in case i get another freeze but so far it seemed to solve my "freezing" problem.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-11-12T07:56:18+00:00

    same problem

    i do not have  NZXT Cam or Corsair Link

    OS win10 home 64

    CPU I7-4820k

    MB - Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. X79-UP4

    GPU -GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (ZOTAC International)

    RAM - 32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3

    1 TB WD SSD

    2 TB WD SSD

    this is a new problem for me, haven't had this problem in the years ive had my PC till i Upgraded my GPU GTX 1660 Ti anyone have an idea?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-11-12T19:31:41+00:00

    I have been having this exact issue with my new build PC. It's a Ryzen processor with an Nvidia GPU. Originally I had Windows 11 installed and after i had left it idol for sometime or I tried to open an Origin game it would so into the freeze state OP described so well. I have gone back to Windows 10 on it now as it seems to recover better from the freeze's better than 11 which just corrupts which results in a repair installation.

    I'm going to try the "C-State" fix first and then if that doesn't work I will go down the rout of checking iCue or wallpaper engine.

    Im hoping it was a simple as changing a setting in the BIOS as ive been thinking it is a hardware fault somewhere.

    Specs:

    Ryzen 9 5900x

    ROG Strix Mobo

    RTX 3080ti

    Fingers crossed this fix's it, this thread has been more helpful than from people "in the know" at various companies

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments