PC freezes after being left idle for a few hours

Anonymous
2020-12-05T05:23:57+00:00

Hi all, my computer has been 'freezing' after bring left idle ever since i updated to Windows Version 20H2. Actually it might not even be the update but I'm not quite sure what is the issue here also :(

Here's what happened:

  • Left computer on overnight, with google chrome and telegram messenger minimized
  • In the morning, opened up chrome (at the YouTube page since last night), clicking on buttons on the website doesn't do anything. The start button still works, but clicking on any apps wont do anything. Also, I've realized that the telegram animated stickers previews are now all not moving anymore, and so did my animated wallpaper.
  • Used my phone to try to connect to my computer via Google remote desktop, says my computer is offline??

I'm using a custom build PC, bought it not too long ago on 11 June 2020, so I doubt there should be any hardware issues?

Did a full restore on 3 Nov 2020, but it still freezes after leaving it idle for a few hours.

Here are my PC specs:

r7 3700x

msi x570 tomahawk WIFI

gskill trident z neo 3600mhz 32gb kit

samsung 970evo plus 500gb nvme m.2

toshiba p300 2tb 7200rpm

msi rtx2060 super 8gb gaming x 

seasonic focus+ gx 750w 80+ gold

Windows specs:

Edition Windows 10 Home

Version 20H2

Installed on ‎3/‎11/‎2020

OS build 19042.630

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-05-23T11:03:39+00:00

Had the exact same symptoms as OP ever since i upgraded from a Ryzen 7 1700 to a 3700x on a Asus Crosshair VI Hero. Tried pretty much everything the internet suggested although i dont even use Corsair Link or NZXT CAM, i've been using the old Aura Sync to control my RGB. 

For the people still searching for a solution, try to disable Global C-state control in the BIOS: 

I tried that as a last effort before returning the processor back but after1 week of use i have yet to experience a "freeze" with the C-state Control disabled. 

I will report back in case i get another freeze but so far it seemed to solve my "freezing" problem.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Lester Bernard Reyes 85,510 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-12-05T05:39:10+00:00

    Hi and thanks for reaching out. My name is Bernard an Independent Advisor and a Windows fan like you. I'll be happy to help you out today.

    I actually have the same problem as before and by following the steps provided below fixed my issue, I hope this works for you as well.

    Method 1. Do clean boot:

    A “clean boot” starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program.

    • In the search box on the taskbar, type msconfig and select System Configuration from the results.
    • On the Services tab of System Configuration, select Hide all Microsoft services, and then select Disable all.
    • On the Startup tab of System Configuration, select Open Task Manager.
    • Under Startup in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then select Disable.
    • Close Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab of System Configuration, select OK. When you restart the computer, it's in a clean boot environment.

    troubleshooting reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135...

    Method 2. Run memory diagnostic tool: Memory diagnostic tool is a RAM test to check if there is any issues with RAM.

    • Press Windows key + R then type in mdsched.exe hit OK then restart the device.

    Method 3. Set the PC to best performance:

    Press windows key + Pause/Break (or go to file explorer and right click This PC and click properties)

    click on Advanced system settings> Under Performance click settings> Click Adjust for best performance and click OK

    Note: this will reduce all appearance settings you have but will optimize the performance of the PC.

    Let me know how does it goes and I hope that helps.

    Bernard

    Independent Advisor

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2020-12-05T18:27:44+00:00

    When it freezes it acts like something I've never seen before with my past computers. When frozen I can still move my mouse, and if I hover over something it shows the little graphic that I've hovered over it. I can move the windows of programs around the screen but I can't exit or minimize. I'm not able to ctrl + alt + delete or esc, I can't open task manager. I can't shut down through the start menu. The only thing I can do is shut it off by pressing the power button on the PC.

    All my drivers are up to date and when I troubleshoot it doesn't detect any issues. I've seen a couple threads on here where people describe the same problems I'm having but they are on older PCs so I thought I'd make my own post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Lester Bernard Reyes 85,510 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-12-05T19:04:13+00:00

    Thanks this is now clear, you need to restore default power configuration so that we can ensure that PC will run after idle

    Restore default power options

    -Press Windows key + R then type:

    powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

    -Restart PC and check.

    Let me know what happened and make sure you have done all the steps above.

    If none will work from the above solution I suggest to do an in-place upgrade wherein it will upgrade the device to the latest version and repair all issues without deleting any files.

    Note: before doing this make sure to create a restore point: https://support.microsoft.com/en-hk/help/402753...

    1. go to this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
    2. Select Download tool, and select Run. You need to be an administrator to run this tool.
    3. On the License terms page, if you accept the license terms, select Accept.
    4. On the What do you want to do? page, select Upgrade this PC now, and then select Next.
    5. After downloading and installing, it should fix the issue.

    Reference: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

    Note: if you receive error: “This Pc can’t be upgrade, follow the steps below”

    Method 1. Go to C:$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther then delete the file name compatscancache.dat

    Then try again or reboot the PC first then try again.

    You might not see the folder as it is hidden, make sure to show hidden files first.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments