PC freezes after being left idle for a few hours

Anonymous
2020-12-05T05:23:57+00:00

Hi all, my computer has been 'freezing' after bring left idle ever since i updated to Windows Version 20H2. Actually it might not even be the update but I'm not quite sure what is the issue here also :(

Here's what happened:

  • Left computer on overnight, with google chrome and telegram messenger minimized
  • In the morning, opened up chrome (at the YouTube page since last night), clicking on buttons on the website doesn't do anything. The start button still works, but clicking on any apps wont do anything. Also, I've realized that the telegram animated stickers previews are now all not moving anymore, and so did my animated wallpaper.
  • Used my phone to try to connect to my computer via Google remote desktop, says my computer is offline??

I'm using a custom build PC, bought it not too long ago on 11 June 2020, so I doubt there should be any hardware issues?

Did a full restore on 3 Nov 2020, but it still freezes after leaving it idle for a few hours.

Here are my PC specs:

r7 3700x

msi x570 tomahawk WIFI

gskill trident z neo 3600mhz 32gb kit

samsung 970evo plus 500gb nvme m.2

toshiba p300 2tb 7200rpm

msi rtx2060 super 8gb gaming x 

seasonic focus+ gx 750w 80+ gold

Windows specs:

Edition Windows 10 Home

Version 20H2

Installed on ‎3/‎11/‎2020

OS build 19042.630

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-05-23T11:03:39+00:00

Had the exact same symptoms as OP ever since i upgraded from a Ryzen 7 1700 to a 3700x on a Asus Crosshair VI Hero. Tried pretty much everything the internet suggested although i dont even use Corsair Link or NZXT CAM, i've been using the old Aura Sync to control my RGB. 

For the people still searching for a solution, try to disable Global C-state control in the BIOS: 

I tried that as a last effort before returning the processor back but after1 week of use i have yet to experience a "freeze" with the C-state Control disabled. 

I will report back in case i get another freeze but so far it seemed to solve my "freezing" problem.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-17T08:18:27+00:00

    Been having this issue for awhile but haven't been able to resolve it, still happens if I disabled Global C-State Control.

    I've not used CAM but I noticed that various other software seem to trigger the freezes including CPU-Z, HWMonitor and apparently even 3DMark, especially after 24 hour uptime.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-22T08:51:32+00:00

    Hi JohnnyYX,

    I tried what McK-4268 suggested, and it has worked for over two weeks without a freeze.

    He suggested disabling global C states in BIOS.

    I found C the states setting in my Asus Z490-P BIOS and disabled it.

    Cheers!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-22T08:28:02+00:00

    Hey, thanks for the reminder! Yes, disabling NZXT Cam did it for me, no freezes since then and my pc runs basically every day with at least one hour idle. I hope they will fix this one day, since the lighting options do not get saved and it always shows the default lighting (which luckily kinda fits my theme).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-06-14T14:22:40+00:00

    Any luck after disabling NZXT CAM? That's what solved the issue for me, haven't had crashes since I did that 3 months ago.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments