PC freezes after being left idle for a few hours

Anonymous
2020-12-05T05:23:57+00:00

Hi all, my computer has been 'freezing' after bring left idle ever since i updated to Windows Version 20H2. Actually it might not even be the update but I'm not quite sure what is the issue here also :(

Here's what happened:

  • Left computer on overnight, with google chrome and telegram messenger minimized
  • In the morning, opened up chrome (at the YouTube page since last night), clicking on buttons on the website doesn't do anything. The start button still works, but clicking on any apps wont do anything. Also, I've realized that the telegram animated stickers previews are now all not moving anymore, and so did my animated wallpaper.
  • Used my phone to try to connect to my computer via Google remote desktop, says my computer is offline??

I'm using a custom build PC, bought it not too long ago on 11 June 2020, so I doubt there should be any hardware issues?

Did a full restore on 3 Nov 2020, but it still freezes after leaving it idle for a few hours.

Here are my PC specs:

r7 3700x

msi x570 tomahawk WIFI

gskill trident z neo 3600mhz 32gb kit

samsung 970evo plus 500gb nvme m.2

toshiba p300 2tb 7200rpm

msi rtx2060 super 8gb gaming x 

seasonic focus+ gx 750w 80+ gold

Windows specs:

Edition Windows 10 Home

Version 20H2

Installed on ‎3/‎11/‎2020

OS build 19042.630

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-05-23T11:03:39+00:00

Had the exact same symptoms as OP ever since i upgraded from a Ryzen 7 1700 to a 3700x on a Asus Crosshair VI Hero. Tried pretty much everything the internet suggested although i dont even use Corsair Link or NZXT CAM, i've been using the old Aura Sync to control my RGB. 

For the people still searching for a solution, try to disable Global C-state control in the BIOS: 

I tried that as a last effort before returning the processor back but after1 week of use i have yet to experience a "freeze" with the C-state Control disabled. 

I will report back in case i get another freeze but so far it seemed to solve my "freezing" problem.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-06-08T14:41:16+00:00

    I've been having the exact same issue as described in this thread. I hope the CAM software gets an update to address this soon. I just turned off my CAM software today after having this issue since updating to the 20H2 update back in September. I had no issues prior to 20H2. I too also thought it was a GPU issue due to having 3 monitors hooked up to my graphics card, but I don't have any way of testing that. It wasn't until today that I noticed that it seemed to be crashing primarily when engaging with the PC after it had been idling for a little bit (even when it's playing YouTube video's). Stumbled on this thread when searching that specific symptom. 

    old

    Ryzen 5 - 2600

    Gigabyte B450 Pro wifi

    GTX 1660ti - 6GB

    16GB RAM

    NZXT H500i case with CAM hub and CAM software. 

    I just upgraded my CPU and MOBO last week hoping that would solve my issue. That did not solve my issue (also did a fresh install then as well). I also tried changing out the RAM in December and that didn't help either.  I also tried 2 clean installs over the course of a couple months and rolling back display drivers and not using GeForce game ready drivers -  made the mistake of doing a fresh install before trying to roll back the update when I did it in September so I couldn't roll back to the previous version of Windows - but none of that helped. . 

    current

    Ryzen 7 5800x

    Asus B550 Gaming F

    GTX 1660ti - 6GB

    64GB RAM

    NZXT H500i case with CAM hub and CAM software. 

    I'm very grateful for all the work that everyone has put into this thread! Seriously hoping that this issue will no longer haunt my dreams. 

    UPDATE:

    3 months have passed and I have not had a single crash.

    All I had to do was disable the NZXT CAM software that I was using to control my RGB hub.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-03T12:07:48+00:00

    Had the exact same symptoms as OP ever since i upgraded from a Ryzen 7 1700 to a 3700x on a Asus Crosshair VI Hero. Tried pretty much everything the internet suggested although i dont even use Corsair Link or NZXT CAM, i've been using the old Aura Sync to control my RGB. 

    For the people still searching for a solution, try to disable Global C-state control in the BIOS: 

    Image

    I tried that as a last effort before returning the processor back but after1 week of use i have yet to experience a "freeze" with the C-state Control disabled. 

    I will report back in case i get another freeze but so far it seemed to solve my "freezing" problem.

    This solved my problem! Went into BIOS and disabled C-State. Computer has not froze for 2 weeks since making the change. Good luck to all! Thank you so much, @McK-4268!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-03-17T18:09:52+00:00

    I couldn't believe this is what was causing the issue, but since I've disabled NZXT CAM from startup I haven't run into any of these weird crashes (for the first time in more than 3 months!). It even worked fine once when I had to open it to adjust some lighting before closing it again (I made sure to end the process completely afterwards). Thank you so much for the tip, it's unbelievable that this might've been what was causing the freezes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-03-13T02:20:32+00:00

    So heres an update, at first I thought it was faulty hardware as I had a failing hdd, I replaced it but the issue seemed to persist, then I suspected it was Wallpaper engine.

    I got dual monitors, but the first one is a 16:9 and the second one is an ultrawide 21:9 in portrait mode, which means the screens make an L shape. In Wallpaper engine I had it set to 1 wallpaper spread across both monitors instead of one wallpaper per monitor, did this to have some flow between the two, but I think with the weird resolution of 3000x2560 it causes some weird bug with the GPU drivers and it eventually locks up. What made me realize this is that whenever I move my mouse over to the second screen, Nvidia shadowplay  glitches for a few seconds and turns off because it cant seem to handle this weird resolution as it wants to include the second screen im working on.

    Because Wallpaper engine directly effects the desktop i think its what leads to the entire windows system locking up.

    This is what was effecting me, yours may be slightly different for example I saw people saying NZXT Cam may be the issue aswell, but for me this is what caused it, setting 1 wallpaper per display instead of making wallpaper engine treat it as 1 fixed the issue for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments