PC freezes after being left idle for a few hours

Anonymous
2020-12-05T05:23:57+00:00

Hi all, my computer has been 'freezing' after bring left idle ever since i updated to Windows Version 20H2. Actually it might not even be the update but I'm not quite sure what is the issue here also :(

Here's what happened:

  • Left computer on overnight, with google chrome and telegram messenger minimized
  • In the morning, opened up chrome (at the YouTube page since last night), clicking on buttons on the website doesn't do anything. The start button still works, but clicking on any apps wont do anything. Also, I've realized that the telegram animated stickers previews are now all not moving anymore, and so did my animated wallpaper.
  • Used my phone to try to connect to my computer via Google remote desktop, says my computer is offline??

I'm using a custom build PC, bought it not too long ago on 11 June 2020, so I doubt there should be any hardware issues?

Did a full restore on 3 Nov 2020, but it still freezes after leaving it idle for a few hours.

Here are my PC specs:

r7 3700x

msi x570 tomahawk WIFI

gskill trident z neo 3600mhz 32gb kit

samsung 970evo plus 500gb nvme m.2

toshiba p300 2tb 7200rpm

msi rtx2060 super 8gb gaming x 

seasonic focus+ gx 750w 80+ gold

Windows specs:

Edition Windows 10 Home

Version 20H2

Installed on ‎3/‎11/‎2020

OS build 19042.630

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-05-23T11:03:39+00:00

Had the exact same symptoms as OP ever since i upgraded from a Ryzen 7 1700 to a 3700x on a Asus Crosshair VI Hero. Tried pretty much everything the internet suggested although i dont even use Corsair Link or NZXT CAM, i've been using the old Aura Sync to control my RGB. 

For the people still searching for a solution, try to disable Global C-state control in the BIOS: 

I tried that as a last effort before returning the processor back but after1 week of use i have yet to experience a "freeze" with the C-state Control disabled. 

I will report back in case i get another freeze but so far it seemed to solve my "freezing" problem.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-22T14:09:47+00:00

    Hey Guys 

    Just an update.

    My PC hasn't froze since uninstalling Corsair Link 4 in January 2021. I still get a random blue screen about once a month, this is GPU driver issue and not related to the original problem i had.

    shocking to see so many still experiencing these freezes. Microsoft really need to lay off the new updates and focus more on testing these updates before releasing them. Every new update seems to cause more problems than it fixes. 

    Long gone are the glory days of Windows 7 :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-03-13T00:16:41+00:00

    You were totally right! There is something seriously wrong with NZXT CAM as it has caused this exact issue talked about in this post, I would have never have guessed that the software controlling my liquid cooling and RGB lighting was responsible for my PC randomly hard freezing.

    I was getting really close to replacing my GPU as I had already replaced my PSU since I had no idea what the problem was.

    Time to uninstall this garbage software!

    Glad I could help, a product manager from NZXT is working on making a build that should solve the problem. Till then I would uninstall or disable NZXT CAM.

    This is what he had said on the forum.

    Hi all - we're now investigating a theory that the issue *can* occur with CAM alone on systems with AMD CPUs (potentially particularly Ryzen), but is exacerbated when running iCue, Razer, or another program that may query CPU statistics. Our engineering team is going to build a version of CAM that removes some CPU monitoring aspects in order to test this theory. Once I get the build, I'll distribute it to people who have emailed me already. If you would like to receive this build as well to help us test the theory, please email me at ******@nzxt.com.

    Link to forum - https://linustechtips.com/topic/1223050-new-pc-strange-windows-freezes-probable-cause-nzxt-cam/page/10/

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-26T02:45:05+00:00

    I’m indeed having the same problem! I thought maybe it was Wallpaper Engine but after a while Ive realized it’s not. Only when I’m idle after a certain period of time that it decides to freeze. Just like you I can do some things but I have to force restart my computer. It looks like no one really knows how to fix it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-01-10T17:01:56+00:00

    After uninstalling Corsair Link 4 on 8th January. My Computer was on yesterday for 13 hours with no freezing at all and has been on for 5 hours today with no freezes either. 

    Will update if anymore occur

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments