Error Code: 0x80073D26 Cant install Gaming Services in Microsoft Store, thus cannot install Xbox game pass games

Anonymous
2020-12-20T21:12:07+00:00

So first when I tried to install wasteland 3 on the microsoft store, I got the infamous "Try again later, something happened on our end." After going through some trouble shooting steps, I ended up running some commands that made me have to install Gaming Services. But everytime I try to install it gets almost completed and then gives an error with the code above. 

Things I have tried: 

ran wsreset

ran windows store app troubleshooter

ran DISM and SFC commands

DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth and sfc /scannow

reset the store

logged in and out of store

hard reset

idk what else to do

also this is my first time trying to install game pass games on my computer since I can not access my xbox for a while.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-04-12T19:07:35+00:00

My solution to make GamingServices update without an error (after I tried everything else). The problem is really that Windows supposes that the newer version of GamingServices is already installed (I could see it in Event Viewer). Don't ask why...

So:

Open Registry Editor

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services

Remove the GamingServices and GamingServices.Net

Restart Computer

Go to your Windows Store -> 3-dot-menu -> Downloads and Updates -> Check updates

Gaming Services should install now without issue.

Double check by rebooting and going back to Windows Store and trying to Get Updates again - you should be Up to date.

Thanks to someone on the internet suggesting to take a look into Event Viewer to see what the error actually is. And shame on Microsoft for not being able to resolve the issue for such a long time, AND not to be able to actually show what exactly is the error in the user interface.

Was this answer helpful?

900+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-27T01:30:38+00:00

    My solution to make GamingServices update without an error (after I tried everything else). The problem is really that Windows supposes that the newer version of GamingServices is already installed (I could see it in Event Viewer). Don't ask why...

    So:

    Open Registry Editor

    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services

    Remove the GamingServices and GamingServices.Net

    Restart Computer

    Go to your Windows Store -> 3-dot-menu -> Downloads and Updates -> Check updates

    Gaming Services should install now without issue.

    Double check by rebooting and going back to Windows Store and trying to Get Updates again - you should be Up to date.

    Thanks to someone on the internet suggesting to take a look into Event Viewer to see what the error actually is. And shame on Microsoft for not being able to resolve the issue for such a long time, AND not to be able to actually show what exactly is the error in the user interface. 

    Thank you so much for this. I wasted hours last night reading through and trying things that Microsoft support suggested on other threads, but nothing worked. I don't understand why this Gaming Services install error is such a common issue in the first place, and even then, why can they not actually suggest a reliable way to fix the problem like what you just told us? Its stuff like this reminds me why I try to buy and play all my games through Steam and not other platforms. I always run into issues whether it's here, Epic, Origin, etc. I can assure you that if Game Pass were not such a good deal, I would never even consider using this platform.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-27T18:43:10+00:00

    Thank you stranger, almost cancelled mygamepass because of this, bless you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-27T19:47:55+00:00

    You are a Saint... worked for me like a charm!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-27T19:52:27+00:00

    My solution to make GamingServices update without an error (after I tried everything else). The problem is really that Windows supposes that the newer version of GamingServices is already installed (I could see it in Event Viewer). Don't ask why...

    So:

    Open Registry Editor

    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services

    Remove the GamingServices and GamingServices.Net

    Restart Computer

    Go to your Windows Store -> 3-dot-menu -> Downloads and Updates -> Check updates

    Gaming Services should install now without issue.

    Double check by rebooting and going back to Windows Store and trying to Get Updates again - you should be Up to date.

    Thanks to someone on the internet suggesting to take a look into Event Viewer to see what the error actually is. And shame on Microsoft for not being able to resolve the issue for such a long time, AND not to be able to actually show what exactly is the error in the user interface. 

    Hi NikitaMendelbaum is it possible to post your fix on its own page or if you don't mind I can do it and I will definitely give you the credit. The fix deserves its own page when you search for a fix. And thank you very much Im forever in your debt

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments