Microsoft backup programs, questions....

Anonymous
2020-11-09T20:27:10+00:00

I've been on a quest to find a backup system for Windows that is:

  1. Easy to use visually for folks with vision issues.   That includes me.  :-(
  2. Easy for a newbie to understand by simply reading the information provided on the screen.
  3. All aspects actually work.
  4. Preferably has a free version, for those that cannot afford the prices for the software.  This is especially a problem for vendors who  use the subscription model.

Given the number of 3rd party programs I've tried that don't actually work in all aspects, I've been setting up the Microsoft provided software.

With the exception of File History, which for me, occasionally does not add new files to the History after they are created, I've been happy with the results.

So it's depressing to see MS is deprecating a system that at least works as well for me as most 3rd party candidates I've tried.  FWIW, of the programs I've tried, only one has seemed to work in all cases, but fails miserably for points 1 & 2 above.

That being said, the following questions come to mind:

  1. For those who are part of the Insider program, has there been any discussion regarding the reversal of the decision to deprecate the MS software?
  2. Does anyone have suggestions regarding a program or programs that meet the desired needs listed above?
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-11-12T00:00:32+00:00

    i have been unable to locate your feedback.

    this may be a region issue (i'm in the UK) although there has been a problem this evening with the search function in the feedback.

    i will look again later.

    Went and checked the feedback, and I think I've got the link.

    https://aka.ms/AAabg7x

    Hope it works for those interested.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Martmcd 19,990 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-11-10T21:32:04+00:00

    i have been unable to locate your feedback.

    this may be a region issue (i'm in the UK) although there has been a problem this evening with the search function in the feedback.

    i will look again later.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-11-10T18:20:35+00:00

    if you can tell me the title, category and sub-category you used (or anything you remember), i will search for it and paste the link back here for you.

    I had to go fumble around in the Feedback Hub app, but I finally found it.

    Filed as a suggestion.

    Title:   Deprecation fo Backup and Restore., and File History.

    Category:    Recovery and Uninstall > System Image and Backup

    It always amazes me, how little MS seems to know about designing for people.  Do you think I could just copy and paste the above info?  Nope.

    And people wonder why I spent the extra bucks for a Mac, as I surely can't justify that purchase financially.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-11-10T18:20:30+00:00

    if you can tell me the title, category and sub-category you used (or anything you remember), i will search for it and paste the link back here for you.

    I had to go fumble around in the Feedback Hub app, but I finally found it.

    Filed as a suggestion.

    Title:   Deprecation fo Backup and Restore., and File History.

    Category:    Recovery and Uninstall > System Image and Backup

    It always amazes me, how little MS seems to know about designing for people.  Do you think I could just copy and paste the above info?  Nope.

    And people wonder why I spent the extra bucks for a Mac, as I surely can't justify that purchase financially.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Martmcd 19,990 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-11-10T17:48:26+00:00

    if you can tell me the title, category and sub-category you used (or anything you remember), i will search for it and paste the link back here for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments