Microsoft backup programs, questions....

Anonymous
2020-11-09T20:27:10+00:00

I've been on a quest to find a backup system for Windows that is:

  1. Easy to use visually for folks with vision issues.   That includes me.  :-(
  2. Easy for a newbie to understand by simply reading the information provided on the screen.
  3. All aspects actually work.
  4. Preferably has a free version, for those that cannot afford the prices for the software.  This is especially a problem for vendors who  use the subscription model.

Given the number of 3rd party programs I've tried that don't actually work in all aspects, I've been setting up the Microsoft provided software.

With the exception of File History, which for me, occasionally does not add new files to the History after they are created, I've been happy with the results.

So it's depressing to see MS is deprecating a system that at least works as well for me as most 3rd party candidates I've tried.  FWIW, of the programs I've tried, only one has seemed to work in all cases, but fails miserably for points 1 & 2 above.

That being said, the following questions come to mind:

  1. For those who are part of the Insider program, has there been any discussion regarding the reversal of the decision to deprecate the MS software?
  2. Does anyone have suggestions regarding a program or programs that meet the desired needs listed above?
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-11-10T17:14:46+00:00

    Just to let you know, I did my very first feedback just a few minutes ago.  <G>  It's mostly the original post.

    I wasn't sure  how the Share  option works for posting a link here, and didn't  have the time to figure it out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-11-10T03:15:14+00:00

    You are welcome.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-11-10T03:06:48+00:00

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-11-10T02:56:23+00:00

    Glad to hear the macular degeneration hasn't progressed, & I hope it never will. I want to get a few more things done, then I'll finally go in for cataract surgery. It's been over a year now since my exam on 7/17/2019, looks like. But I did pass my driver's license eye exam shortly before that date with my one good eye. Well, it's got a lesser cataract, anyhow.

    Yeah, filters is like high contrast, but with more colors. High contrast, OTOH, doesn't mess with pictures & videos. Sorry it isn't a solution, then.

    If you have any questions about mounting an image or using previous versions, I'll likely still be here no matter when you get to it (as if I actually know much more about them)

    (a) While 3rd-party image makers can also mount their image, nothing but Backup & Restore will create previous versions that I know of. DiscWizard certainly doesn't do it.

    (b) If you use the Restore button in previous versions, it wipes the current file/folder & replaces it with the previous version. So, it's safer to just copy the specific files you want.

    OK, good luck with it & all else.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-11-10T01:53:01+00:00

    Hi, PCR just PCR

    Shoot.  The system won't let me quiote and reply as I would like, so I'll just comment.  I don't have this kind of problem on he Usenet.

    Took care of any cataract issues long ago.  But it sounds like the filters in this case may do similar to some high contrast themes.  And for me, I've found them to be "iffy" in being a usable result.

    My biggest visual issue is macular degeneration, which fortunately has not progressed in the last 7.5 years.

    I also have 20H2 in all my W10 installs except one.  Just haven't had the time to get to the last one.

    I had wondered if you could pull individual files from an image, just haven't had the time to research and experiment.

    Similar comment for Previous  Versions.

    I've printed just your reply to my post for future reference.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments