New Media Creation Tool for 2020

Anonymous
2020-10-23T06:51:30+00:00

I began a download for the Windows 10 Installation Media and all proceeded normally. It was about 70% when I checked it last time but when I came in now to look at it, it said something about more spaced needed. 

The usb drive (I'll call it a thumbdrive) has 16 Gigs on it and it warned before I started, all info would be wiped. I'm attempting to make an ISO file so I can use it for an In-place repair should I ever need it, so I clicked on the ISO instead of Flash Drive. Any idea as to why this failed to download to the usb drive properly?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-10-23T14:51:29+00:00

Finished successfully after so many long minutes. The last time around, I made a bootable usb right from the initial usb (ISO) and shall use this ISO perchance I need to do an In-place repair. 

I'm still stuck as to why this failed up the first time. Doesn't the Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB drive to an NTFS? It did the last time and I understood it would do the same this time around but didn't. 

I had to format the USB to the NTFS manually which I found kind of weird. What do you folks think? 

Hi Rubert,

To do a in place repair , you need to extract the iso file in place then access the installation folder then click on the setup installation and keep files and apps then follow the process. Tell me, do you know there are many media creation tool. for windows 10 2004 you mediatool2004 and for windows 10 20h2 you need mediacreationtool20H2. Go for the Mediacreationtool20H2

Leave a feedback

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-23T17:20:44+00:00

    From what I understand everything works?

    For your question, yes, if the key was in FAT32 that was one of the problems. Fat32 does not support a file larger than 4 GB

    Because I understand that you had directly copied the ISO file to the stick?

    You have to go through the Media Creator tool so that it transforms the usb key into a bootable key.

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-downlo...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Neil D 34,325 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2020-10-23T18:08:19+00:00

    If you want the ISO file for a repair then just download to your hard drive. If you want bootable USB media then select USB as the destination in the media creation tool.

    Once you have the bootable USB media you can use that for either a repair or clean install.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Neil D 34,325 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2020-10-23T18:14:22+00:00

    If you have the ISO then file explorer will mount the ISO and create a new drive showing the contents of the ISO. Just run setup from the new drive letter.

    As I understand it if you create a bootable USB then the media creation tool will format it as part of the process.

    If you just copy or download the ISO to the USB it will use whatever the format is already. Although fat 32 may not be correct for a file of that size.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-23T18:23:16+00:00

    Hi Rubert

    >'to extract the ISO file in place' 

    To extract the iso file in place, right click with your mouse on the iso file then click on extract then follow the steps I mentioned above.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments