New Media Creation Tool for 2020

Anonymous
2020-10-23T06:51:30+00:00

I began a download for the Windows 10 Installation Media and all proceeded normally. It was about 70% when I checked it last time but when I came in now to look at it, it said something about more spaced needed. 

The usb drive (I'll call it a thumbdrive) has 16 Gigs on it and it warned before I started, all info would be wiped. I'm attempting to make an ISO file so I can use it for an In-place repair should I ever need it, so I clicked on the ISO instead of Flash Drive. Any idea as to why this failed to download to the usb drive properly?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-10-23T14:51:29+00:00

Finished successfully after so many long minutes. The last time around, I made a bootable usb right from the initial usb (ISO) and shall use this ISO perchance I need to do an In-place repair. 

I'm still stuck as to why this failed up the first time. Doesn't the Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB drive to an NTFS? It did the last time and I understood it would do the same this time around but didn't. 

I had to format the USB to the NTFS manually which I found kind of weird. What do you folks think? 

Hi Rubert,

To do a in place repair , you need to extract the iso file in place then access the installation folder then click on the setup installation and keep files and apps then follow the process. Tell me, do you know there are many media creation tool. for windows 10 2004 you mediatool2004 and for windows 10 20h2 you need mediacreationtool20H2. Go for the Mediacreationtool20H2

Leave a feedback

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-25T19:10:13+00:00

    An interesting and informative reply. The strange thing is, the first time I downloaded the ISO file back a few weeks ago, it landed on the thumbdrive no problem. 

    When I downloaded Windows 10 20H2 ISO, I downloaded it to the same thumbdrive. I understood it would format it automatically as it did the first time and figured there'd be no problems. 

    But it didn't and when I had to manually format the thumbdrive, I had to set it at NTSF. 

    My question still remains - what happened?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-25T18:24:48+00:00

    I began a download for the Windows 10 Installation Media and all proceeded normally. It was about 70% when I checked it last time but when I came in now to look at it, it said something about more spaced needed. 

    The usb drive (I'll call it a thumbdrive) has 16 Gigs on it and it warned before I started, all info would be wiped. I'm attempting to make an ISO file so I can use it for an In-place repair should I ever need it, so I clicked on the ISO instead of Flash Drive. Any idea as to why this failed to download to the usb drive properly? 

    There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread on how to create the media installation on the USB flash drive.

    The MediaCreationTool20H2.exe will do that automatically if you desire.

    The final bootable media installation will be created on a USB Flash drive formatted as FAT32 which is the requirement for machines running UEFI.

    (Machines running Legacy Bios can still boot from an NTFS formatted media and so can some older machines that can run either UEFI or Legacy Bios mode).

    The limitation of FAT32 is that it can only accept files that are below the 4GiB limit. (4,294,967,296 Bytes).

    So if you are trying to download the ISO file directly to a FAT32 drive it will not fit because the ISO file is bigger than 4GiB. The ISO file can be downloaded on an internal or external NTFS drive.

    The bootable FAT32 device will not contain the ISO file, but all the Folders and Files contained in the mounted ISO, each individual file should be below the 4GiB limit.

    The biggest file contained in the mounted ISO is the install.esd (or install.wim if uncompressed) which is in the sources folder.  If that file is within the 4GiB limit there will be no problem creating the bootable FAT32 USB media. 

    There are many different ways to create the FAT32 bootable media.

    The easiest way is by mounting the ISO file and then copying all the Folders and Files from the mounted ISO to a FAT32 USB flash drive that was prepared with a single partition, made active.  

    The resulting FAT32 USB media will be bootable on both UEFI and Legacy Bios machines.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T15:49:52+00:00

    All is well thanks! 

    By the way don't forget to choose the answer that help you up. Good luck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T14:49:46+00:00

    That is strange why certain updates won't install on some systems. August & September were a real joy for me, for neither of them would install on this system while they did on two other computers here. At least, you were clever enough to do what you did from the ISO file. 

    I've the same on my USB drive and with Rufus, made another bootable USB from that. 

    Anyway, thanks for your helpful info. Appreciated. 

    Never give up until we find a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments