"Paged Fault in Nonpaged area" after Windows Update

Anonymous
2020-10-24T02:01:42+00:00

So this all started yesterday morning. I went to Windows Update and it started to update and before I could see what happend my PC hard crashed with a "Paged fault in a non paged area" and then the PC would not start up again.

Initially I thought it had to do with an upgrade I did to Samsung Magician, So I went into safe mode and uninstalled that, and then no luck on the reboot. Do note it started up fine in safe mode and ran fine there.

Then I went into recovery and removed the most recent updated. Again no luck. Same BSOD.

I then started thinking I had a disk error so ran chkdsk, but that came back with no errors. Tried to restart with no luck

I then ran sfc /scannow and it found a couple fixes and added them, but again when I tried to restart it bsod'd with the same error.

I then rolled back to my prior restore point from a week ago but the exact same error.

I then ran a memory check with memtest86 and got no errors. Same error on reboot.

I then ran Prime95 and ran several CPU tests for several hours and had no errors. Rebooted again and the same error.

I've been thinking about getting a new SSD for a bit, so I went out and picked one up and started a new install after backing things up in safe mode.

I then put in the new drive and started the install. I did the install from a fresh set of data off a USB thumb drive. Things start off fine but as soon as I get around the point where I enter my Microsoft account info it crashes. Sometimes before I get it entered, sometimes shortly after, but it always crashes. 

At this stage I tried uninstalling several things. Unplugged most everything except a monitor. Did not start taking out graphics card or sound card yet. But nothing helped. Did several installs here.

Next I decided to do an offline install and unhooked my network cable and did another Windows install fully offline. It ran to completion with no errors. I did several reboots and it worked just fine. I then connected my Microsoft account and went into windows update and started it and it crashed within 30 seconds and is BSODing again.

I'm at a complete loss here. The machine is a bit older. But still runs very quickly for what I need. Really not sure what to do next but it really feels like something being updated in Window's Updated is causing it to fail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-27T15:28:03+00:00

    here is a link to the crash documents. Can anyone tell exactly which device this driver is trying to update from this so I can try to disable that way? Or what other document should I look at to tell?

    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zQHvPRf1mwkWXjWpJIiYuZt0j2ODCwPy?usp=sharing

    I get this same set of errors every time. The loop is this Starts up normally > Fails if attached the network > Go to Recovery on startup > Run startup recovery > back to step 1. If i'm not on the network i can run startup recovery and then log on normally until i plug the network back in.

    As a reminder. I've disabled device driver updates, but they still try to install anyway. I've also tried to hide updates from windows update (using the MS utility) but they still install anyway.

    Would love some specific ideas here.

    I did get a response from Biostar, but their support site is down so I cannot see it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-28T21:47:31+00:00

    Did finally get the updates to stop. But the only way I found to do this was to Disable the Windows Update service which of course causes other issues.

    One of the surprising things is just how broken the Windows Update Group Policy/Registry settings are in 2004. I tried all of the below and checked to confirm the registry settings were correct. Not one of them actually stopped Windows Update.

    1. Configure Automatic updates. Disabled. Did not work
    2. Configure Automatic Updates. Enabled. Option 2 to require the user to load them. Did not work.
    3. Allow Automatic Updates Immediate install. Disabled. This did not work.
    4. Do not include drivers with Windows Update. Enabled. This did not work
    5. Do not connect to Windows Update Internet Sites. Enabled. This also did not work.

    Like I said I updated in group policy but also confirmed they were updated in the registry making sure to do a reboot between every change. Just amazing how broken everything is in there right now.

    I have replied to biostar once and provided some info, but have not heard back from them again.

    At this stage I'll just have to wait to actually load this pc. No way I can do much until I confirm it's not going to crash everything when I turn windows updates back on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-28T23:32:42+00:00

    Did you try setting a Metered Connection which is normally the only stable method to block Updates for five years running now:

    https://www.howtogeek.com/226722/how-when-and-w...

    If it's not working either then it does seem like your install is badly broken. I believe I've already given the hecklist to try to find and fix the problem here, which may work now that it's a different install:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    Did you Clean Install Version 2004? If not and Windows Update delivered it you can try also running a Repair Install by installing the Media Creation Tool from this link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m...

    Choose Download Tool Now.

    Install the tool, open it and choose Upgrade this PC Now.

    This reinstalls WIndows while saving your files and apps in place; takes about an hour, resolves most problems. It also brings it to the latest version by the most stable method.

    I hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-28T23:45:55+00:00

    The metered connection was the only one I did not try. But I have no idea what it would gain me to try it if there is no way for it to not crash my PC every time I run it. What did you have in mind?

    Not sure what your point is with the checklist. Those don't seem to deal with bad infinite loop driver installs that I'm seeing. Literally, I have no way to even follow those steps while it is forcing out a windows update within 20 seconds of connecting to the network. Which then requires a startup recovery, which allows me to partially boot up until it crashes again within 20 seconds unless I unplug the network cable.

    Like I said. Shutting off the service for Windows Update has at least allowed me to get some development stuff reinstalled so I can get some stuff done. But this is not remotely a long term solution.

    I've probably said 5 times in this thread that yes I'm doing a clean install of 2004 from the media tool. I've probably done the reinstall 30 times now. They all fail. Something is badly messed up with Windows Update at the moment. I'd guess that these registry failures are part of the issue. Even where startup recovery adds things to the registry they are being ignored.

    I wish it helped, perhaps read what I said in the previous post and you might have an idea of what is so broken right now with windows installs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-10-30T19:47:58+00:00

    I do wonder if all of the infinite loop device update crashes I'm seeing is related to this.

    https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/10/30/windows-10s-biggest-driver-change-is-arriving-next-month/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments