"Paged Fault in Nonpaged area" after Windows Update

Anonymous
2020-10-24T02:01:42+00:00

So this all started yesterday morning. I went to Windows Update and it started to update and before I could see what happend my PC hard crashed with a "Paged fault in a non paged area" and then the PC would not start up again.

Initially I thought it had to do with an upgrade I did to Samsung Magician, So I went into safe mode and uninstalled that, and then no luck on the reboot. Do note it started up fine in safe mode and ran fine there.

Then I went into recovery and removed the most recent updated. Again no luck. Same BSOD.

I then started thinking I had a disk error so ran chkdsk, but that came back with no errors. Tried to restart with no luck

I then ran sfc /scannow and it found a couple fixes and added them, but again when I tried to restart it bsod'd with the same error.

I then rolled back to my prior restore point from a week ago but the exact same error.

I then ran a memory check with memtest86 and got no errors. Same error on reboot.

I then ran Prime95 and ran several CPU tests for several hours and had no errors. Rebooted again and the same error.

I've been thinking about getting a new SSD for a bit, so I went out and picked one up and started a new install after backing things up in safe mode.

I then put in the new drive and started the install. I did the install from a fresh set of data off a USB thumb drive. Things start off fine but as soon as I get around the point where I enter my Microsoft account info it crashes. Sometimes before I get it entered, sometimes shortly after, but it always crashes. 

At this stage I tried uninstalling several things. Unplugged most everything except a monitor. Did not start taking out graphics card or sound card yet. But nothing helped. Did several installs here.

Next I decided to do an offline install and unhooked my network cable and did another Windows install fully offline. It ran to completion with no errors. I did several reboots and it worked just fine. I then connected my Microsoft account and went into windows update and started it and it crashed within 30 seconds and is BSODing again.

I'm at a complete loss here. The machine is a bit older. But still runs very quickly for what I need. Really not sure what to do next but it really feels like something being updated in Window's Updated is causing it to fail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T23:00:08+00:00

    I explained that if the driver does not try to install while you remain offline during install, then you can immediately run Hide Updates tool once you do connect to the internet to find and block the driver IF it is being delivered by WIndows Update.

    If not then you'll need to try to block it in Safe Mode if possible using this method to remove it from Window so it cannot install itself:

    https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/complet...

    If you're also able to uninstall from the Device Manager, it may prompt you if you want to unisntall the software as well and choosing to do this may remove the driver.

    You can also check in Settings > Apps > Apps & Features if it's listed there to uninstall.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T23:16:20+00:00

    And again, if you'd read my question you'd see that was not what I was asking. You'd also know that was what I'd already done with this install.

    I'm looking for how I can block the driver during the initial windows online install. Not after the install if I get lucky and make it through or do it offline again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T23:22:57+00:00

    I thought you were making the most progress with the offline install so simply added to it.

    You need to keep the installer from Updating itself which it doesn't provide a choice for any longer so the only option is to go offline to avoid the updates it injects before install. Someone said recently they were given the choice but I don't see it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-26T18:54:47+00:00

    So I had some time to get back to this and I'm just flummoxed. I still end up at the same BSOD.

    I tried 2 different things after doing an offline install and creating a local account:

    1. I disabled driver updates completely through the control panel. But... As soon as I plugged the cable in the driver updates still automatically installed and BSODd the system.
    2. I found the MS Hide driver's utility and used that. I went in and hid all of the INTEL drivers it was showing. But then it still tried to install them. Even though it showed hidden, it also showed as non hidden after I scanned for active updates. It was like some of the INTEL drivers were showing up multiple times even after being hidden. Also now it seems that windows update is not remembering that a driver update failed and just keeps trying to install it over and over again. Even though I have it hidden in the utility. Eventually it just gets confused and can no longer recover other than going to a restore point.

    It really seems like there is some bigger Windows Update error going on.

    I also have had a ticket open with the Motherboard Maker since Saturday asking them to check the files they are pushing for this build but not heard back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-10-27T02:20:46+00:00

    Reading back over the thread I see that I may not have made clear that if you do the offline install that allows you to catch and kill that driver update, you can still set up a MS Account. You just have to create a Local Account if you're offline, then after you get into Windows or Safe Mode to block the driver, you can convert the Local Account to your MS account easily at Settings > Accounts > Your Info > Sign in with a MS Account instead.

    I'm only clarifying this because of a comment you made about not being able to get the "Sign in screen" you want if you go offline during install, so I wanted you to know that need only be temporary.

    I'll release the thread again so someone else can pick it up, although I see no one has yet. I spent several hours researching this for you previously to make sure there was no workaround available I had missed, but there is not as the discussion threads I appended above show. I'm still here to help if you need me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments