"Paged Fault in Nonpaged area" after Windows Update

Anonymous
2020-10-24T02:01:42+00:00

So this all started yesterday morning. I went to Windows Update and it started to update and before I could see what happend my PC hard crashed with a "Paged fault in a non paged area" and then the PC would not start up again.

Initially I thought it had to do with an upgrade I did to Samsung Magician, So I went into safe mode and uninstalled that, and then no luck on the reboot. Do note it started up fine in safe mode and ran fine there.

Then I went into recovery and removed the most recent updated. Again no luck. Same BSOD.

I then started thinking I had a disk error so ran chkdsk, but that came back with no errors. Tried to restart with no luck

I then ran sfc /scannow and it found a couple fixes and added them, but again when I tried to restart it bsod'd with the same error.

I then rolled back to my prior restore point from a week ago but the exact same error.

I then ran a memory check with memtest86 and got no errors. Same error on reboot.

I then ran Prime95 and ran several CPU tests for several hours and had no errors. Rebooted again and the same error.

I've been thinking about getting a new SSD for a bit, so I went out and picked one up and started a new install after backing things up in safe mode.

I then put in the new drive and started the install. I did the install from a fresh set of data off a USB thumb drive. Things start off fine but as soon as I get around the point where I enter my Microsoft account info it crashes. Sometimes before I get it entered, sometimes shortly after, but it always crashes. 

At this stage I tried uninstalling several things. Unplugged most everything except a monitor. Did not start taking out graphics card or sound card yet. But nothing helped. Did several installs here.

Next I decided to do an offline install and unhooked my network cable and did another Windows install fully offline. It ran to completion with no errors. I did several reboots and it worked just fine. I then connected my Microsoft account and went into windows update and started it and it crashed within 30 seconds and is BSODing again.

I'm at a complete loss here. The machine is a bit older. But still runs very quickly for what I need. Really not sure what to do next but it really feels like something being updated in Window's Updated is causing it to fail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T02:43:13+00:00

    Was this a Windows Update or the latest Version Upgrade?

    Whatever we find to fix it, make sure System Restore is turned on so you can more easily get back before it crashes and then hide the Update with the Hide Updates tool:

    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-r...

    https://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninsta...

    Likewise be prepared to roll back the Version Update in Recovery Settings or from the Repair Mode I wrote about earlier.

    Are you trying to run the Repair (Version) Upgrade to latest version from the media?

    See these steps for Overcoming Version Upgrade Failures: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    If you can get it installed it will bring along all of the Updates with it and you'll have the latest version by the most stable method.

    If not then let's troubleshoot the Blue Screen:

    If any steps cannot be performed normally then try them in Safe Mode with Networking or Safe Mode: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-saf...

    1. Run the Hardware Troubleshooter:

    Type CMD in Start Search, run Command Prompt as Administrator,

    Copy and paste into box:

    msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic

    Press Enter. Report back any findings.

    1. To troubleshoot the Bluescreen, download, install and run BluescreenView from NirSoft here: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view....

    Report back the reported cause for further steps to fix it.

    1. Prepare and submit the BSOD crash report back here for a BSOD expert's analysis following these steps: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...
    2. Update your drivers from the PC or motherboard maker's Support Downloads web page, using the full model number, Serial Number or Dell Service Tag on sticker. Compare the latest drivers available for download with the ones presently installed in Device Manager reached by right clicking the Start Menu. Make sure you have the latest BIOS or UEFI firmware, Chipset, Display (Video), Sound, USB3, Bluetooth, Network and all other drivers, or else download and install the latest now.
    3. Go over this checklist to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs get done: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    Start with Step 4 to turn off Startup freeloaders which can conflict and cause issues, then Step 7 to check for infection the most thorough way, then step 10 to check for damaged System Files. Then continue with the other steps to go over your install most thoroughly.

    1. If nothing else helps you can run a Repair Install by installing the Media Creation Tool and choosing from it to Upgrade Now. This reinstalls Windows in about an hour while saving your files, apps and most settings, solves many problems while also bringing it up to the latest version 1809 which you need anyway and by the most stable method. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m...

    But remember that in Windows 10 everything depends upon the quality of the install, and Factory or Upgrade installs are inferior installs which most enthusiasts won't even run because they'd expect endless issues. Consider now or later doing the Clean Install in this link which compiles the best possible install that will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    There is also an automated Fresh Start that reinstalls WIndows while shedding corrupting factory bloatware, saves your files, but doesn't clear the drive to get it cleanest: https://www.howtogeek.com/265054/how-to-easily-...

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    ________________________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T02:39:32+00:00

    I've thought about doing the offline windows clean install again and then disabling windows updates as long as I can and hope they get the issue fixed. Then just install the drivers I need manually. But that is certainly not a long term solution. Really seems like they are pushing something they should not be to my PC.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T02:14:39+00:00

    I tried to 1) uninstall an update 2) Tried to roll back to prior version, 3) tried to repair startup.

    Then when none of that worked I started over on the install from media. I used that link to create the usb media that I used. Those are my last 2 points.

    It crashes as soon as it tries to do the windows update and gives me the page in nonpage error repeatedly then.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T02:11:49+00:00

    Did you do the Reset or Clean Install?

    Since you can get into WIndows you can also do a Repair Install which reinstalls WIndows while saving your files and apps in place, brings it up to the latest October 2020 version by the most stable method (while I am here to help you if there are any problems), takes about an hour, resolves most problems:

    Install the Media Creation Tool from this link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m...

    Choose Download Tool Now.

    Install the tool, open it and choose Upgrade this PC Now.

    If any problems follow these steps for overcoming Version Upgrade problems: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T02:08:00+00:00

    I believe I've done everything in there already. Feel free to check what I said.

    The last 2 points I made were about your number 4. It fails as soon as Windows Update tries to run.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments