So which of those steps helps me trouble shoot why the Blue Screen of Death happens as soon as Windows update runs?
"Paged Fault in Nonpaged area" after Windows Update
So this all started yesterday morning. I went to Windows Update and it started to update and before I could see what happend my PC hard crashed with a "Paged fault in a non paged area" and then the PC would not start up again.
Initially I thought it had to do with an upgrade I did to Samsung Magician, So I went into safe mode and uninstalled that, and then no luck on the reboot. Do note it started up fine in safe mode and ran fine there.
Then I went into recovery and removed the most recent updated. Again no luck. Same BSOD.
I then started thinking I had a disk error so ran chkdsk, but that came back with no errors. Tried to restart with no luck
I then ran sfc /scannow and it found a couple fixes and added them, but again when I tried to restart it bsod'd with the same error.
I then rolled back to my prior restore point from a week ago but the exact same error.
I then ran a memory check with memtest86 and got no errors. Same error on reboot.
I then ran Prime95 and ran several CPU tests for several hours and had no errors. Rebooted again and the same error.
I've been thinking about getting a new SSD for a bit, so I went out and picked one up and started a new install after backing things up in safe mode.
I then put in the new drive and started the install. I did the install from a fresh set of data off a USB thumb drive. Things start off fine but as soon as I get around the point where I enter my Microsoft account info it crashes. Sometimes before I get it entered, sometimes shortly after, but it always crashes.
At this stage I tried uninstalling several things. Unplugged most everything except a monitor. Did not start taking out graphics card or sound card yet. But nothing helped. Did several installs here.
Next I decided to do an offline install and unhooked my network cable and did another Windows install fully offline. It ran to completion with no errors. I did several reboots and it worked just fine. I then connected my Microsoft account and went into windows update and started it and it crashed within 30 seconds and is BSODing again.
I'm at a complete loss here. The machine is a bit older. But still runs very quickly for what I need. Really not sure what to do next but it really feels like something being updated in Window's Updated is causing it to fail.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2020-10-24T04:41:09+00:00 -
Anonymous
2020-10-24T03:19:21+00:00 Who is Brian?
-
Anonymous
2020-10-24T03:11:10+00:00 I assume Brian is a Bot?
-
Anonymous
2020-10-24T02:56:36+00:00 For problems like you're having, you can also make it a diagnostic install, where after Windows is installed you check for the behavior before anything else is installed. Then check again after each group of Updates is installed, each program and app install, each settings change with no modifications at all. This can help pinpoint what exactly is causing tthe problem.
Plus let's do an even cleaner install where the drive is wiped and new media is created to rule out any contamination:
- Follow the illustrated Clean Install steps in this tutorial which compiles the best possible install that will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...
- Make sure all other drives and peripherals are unplugged. Update the BIOS or UEFI firmware to latest, or reset to Defaults, making sure (if you have it) UEFI is enabled, CSM or Legacy BIOS disabled, Windows Boot Manager set first to boot, if necessary disable Secure and Fast Boot until after install, set SATA controller to AHCI, Save changes and Exit. Access BIOS/UEFI Setup as shown here: https://www.mydigitallife.net/comprehensive-lis...
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/reset-pc-bios-...
- Create the latest Windows 10 Installation Media by installing Media Creation Tool and following the directions here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m.... If you're using another PC to do this uncheck the box for Recommended Settings to choose the exact version and bit rate for the target PC only.
- Insert media, boot it by powering up PC while pressing the BIOS Boot Menu Key: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutor...
- If the media won't boot you may need to enter BIOS/UEFI Setup (pressing key given in chart in link above) to turn off Fast Boot or Fast Startup first. If you can start Windows enter UEFI firmware here: http://www.isunshare.com/windows-password/four-...
- The media may also be bad, so confirm it boots and queues up per these steps in another PC, or else recreate it. You can also try a DVD, or the alternate download site from MS TechBench here: https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php. Burn to DVD using WIndows Image Burner or create bootable flash using one of the options here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create...
- Choose the boot device as a UEFI device if offered, on first screen press Shift + F10 to open a Command Prompt, type the following commands, each followed by Enter key:
DISKPART
LIST DISK
SEL DIS # (replace # with the disk # of the Windows disk from list in previous command)
CLEAN
EXIT
- Close Command Box, on second screen choose Install Now, then Custom Install, then at the drive selection screen choose Unallocated Space, click Next to let it create needed partitions and start install - this makes it foolproof.
- Make sure to follow the setup steps in the first link tutorial to complete your install. Drivers are important enough that those steps are printed in red.
You will get and keep the best possible install to the exact extent you stick with the steps, tools and methods in the first linked tutorial. It's a better install than any amount of money could buy and a great learning experience that will make you the master of your PC.
I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.
________________________________________________________
Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.
-
Anonymous
2020-10-24T02:50:06+00:00 At this stage I've given up on repairing. I had restore on, it did not work. I did try to repair it did not work.
I'm simply trying to get a clean install done at this point. So from my top message, this is what I'm seeing:
"I then put in the new drive and started the install. I did the install from a fresh set of data off a USB thumb drive. Things start off fine but as soon as I get around the point where I enter my Microsoft account info it crashes. Sometimes before I get it entered, sometimes shortly after, but it always crashes.
At this stage I tried uninstalling several things. Unplugged most everything except a monitor. Did not start taking out graphics card or sound card yet. But nothing helped. Did several installs here.
Next I decided to do an offline install and unhooked my network cable and did another Windows install fully offline. It ran to completion with no errors. I did several reboots and it worked just fine. I then connected my Microsoft account and went into windows update and started it and it crashed within 30 seconds and is BSODing again."