"Paged Fault in Nonpaged area" after Windows Update

Anonymous
2020-10-24T02:01:42+00:00

So this all started yesterday morning. I went to Windows Update and it started to update and before I could see what happend my PC hard crashed with a "Paged fault in a non paged area" and then the PC would not start up again.

Initially I thought it had to do with an upgrade I did to Samsung Magician, So I went into safe mode and uninstalled that, and then no luck on the reboot. Do note it started up fine in safe mode and ran fine there.

Then I went into recovery and removed the most recent updated. Again no luck. Same BSOD.

I then started thinking I had a disk error so ran chkdsk, but that came back with no errors. Tried to restart with no luck

I then ran sfc /scannow and it found a couple fixes and added them, but again when I tried to restart it bsod'd with the same error.

I then rolled back to my prior restore point from a week ago but the exact same error.

I then ran a memory check with memtest86 and got no errors. Same error on reboot.

I then ran Prime95 and ran several CPU tests for several hours and had no errors. Rebooted again and the same error.

I've been thinking about getting a new SSD for a bit, so I went out and picked one up and started a new install after backing things up in safe mode.

I then put in the new drive and started the install. I did the install from a fresh set of data off a USB thumb drive. Things start off fine but as soon as I get around the point where I enter my Microsoft account info it crashes. Sometimes before I get it entered, sometimes shortly after, but it always crashes. 

At this stage I tried uninstalling several things. Unplugged most everything except a monitor. Did not start taking out graphics card or sound card yet. But nothing helped. Did several installs here.

Next I decided to do an offline install and unhooked my network cable and did another Windows install fully offline. It ran to completion with no errors. I did several reboots and it worked just fine. I then connected my Microsoft account and went into windows update and started it and it crashed within 30 seconds and is BSODing again.

I'm at a complete loss here. The machine is a bit older. But still runs very quickly for what I need. Really not sure what to do next but it really feels like something being updated in Window's Updated is causing it to fail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T23:00:08+00:00

    I explained that if the driver does not try to install while you remain offline during install, then you can immediately run Hide Updates tool once you do connect to the internet to find and block the driver IF it is being delivered by WIndows Update.

    If not then you'll need to try to block it in Safe Mode if possible using this method to remove it from Window so it cannot install itself:

    https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/complet...

    If you're also able to uninstall from the Device Manager, it may prompt you if you want to unisntall the software as well and choosing to do this may remove the driver.

    You can also check in Settings > Apps > Apps & Features if it's listed there to uninstall.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T22:43:58+00:00

    No you did not.

    Your hide updates option requires an offline install. Basically what I just did. Not a final solution since it does not install the login correctly.

    Setting a system restore requires making it through the initial install also.

    An old version may work, but it may not work. 2004 was working fine for me until Thursday when it went to run windows update. My guess is they enabled that intel update for my motherboard. I'd also guess that update was enabled for all versions of Windows.

    So again, if you have an option to allow me to disable a driver update for certain devices as the initial install is happening with the network cable plugged in. I would love to hear about it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T22:33:02+00:00

    I addressed exactly that in my last post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T22:21:41+00:00

    All of those are steps after installation. If I do the online installation (network cable plugged in) I don't have the opportunity to stop those windows updates before they BSOD the install. That's what I'm asking.  How do I stop them before that point?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T22:13:29+00:00

    You can install an older version of WIndows and block the version which is causing the issue.

    If the driver doesn't attempt to install until after you connect to the internet (and it starts pulling in Windows Updates) you can put the Hide Updates tool on a flash stick to get it up and running, then turn on the internet and immediately keep checking for Updates until it finds the one with the driver so you can hide it.

    Also enable System Restore first thing after install so you can use System Restore or Uninstall Updates from Repair Mode if necessary to get back before the driver installs then run the Hide Updates tool.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments