"Paged Fault in Nonpaged area" after Windows Update

Anonymous
2020-10-24T02:01:42+00:00

So this all started yesterday morning. I went to Windows Update and it started to update and before I could see what happend my PC hard crashed with a "Paged fault in a non paged area" and then the PC would not start up again.

Initially I thought it had to do with an upgrade I did to Samsung Magician, So I went into safe mode and uninstalled that, and then no luck on the reboot. Do note it started up fine in safe mode and ran fine there.

Then I went into recovery and removed the most recent updated. Again no luck. Same BSOD.

I then started thinking I had a disk error so ran chkdsk, but that came back with no errors. Tried to restart with no luck

I then ran sfc /scannow and it found a couple fixes and added them, but again when I tried to restart it bsod'd with the same error.

I then rolled back to my prior restore point from a week ago but the exact same error.

I then ran a memory check with memtest86 and got no errors. Same error on reboot.

I then ran Prime95 and ran several CPU tests for several hours and had no errors. Rebooted again and the same error.

I've been thinking about getting a new SSD for a bit, so I went out and picked one up and started a new install after backing things up in safe mode.

I then put in the new drive and started the install. I did the install from a fresh set of data off a USB thumb drive. Things start off fine but as soon as I get around the point where I enter my Microsoft account info it crashes. Sometimes before I get it entered, sometimes shortly after, but it always crashes. 

At this stage I tried uninstalling several things. Unplugged most everything except a monitor. Did not start taking out graphics card or sound card yet. But nothing helped. Did several installs here.

Next I decided to do an offline install and unhooked my network cable and did another Windows install fully offline. It ran to completion with no errors. I did several reboots and it worked just fine. I then connected my Microsoft account and went into windows update and started it and it crashed within 30 seconds and is BSODing again.

I'm at a complete loss here. The machine is a bit older. But still runs very quickly for what I need. Really not sure what to do next but it really feels like something being updated in Window's Updated is causing it to fail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T20:30:44+00:00

    So it did something different this time. 

    I had a fresh install done again, and kept everything offline. I then plugged in the network cable to reproduce the bsod, was then going to grab with the linux distro I'd created. But this time, it did not crash immediately. I started getting messages that it had updated the drivers. Which I'd not seen since this started.

    I did restart after it was done and it crashed, but this time when it restarted it tried to recover itself and it uninstalled the NVIDIA driver it had picked up from Windows Update and it up and running now. So my guess is that there is something wrong with the version of the nvidia driver windows update is pushing out right now?

    Going to post the blue screen info now since I can actually finally view it from that pc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T20:03:59+00:00

    I provided the Linux live media in my last post.

    I gave the files needed to trace the crash earlier.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T19:24:16+00:00

    I'd asked before, but what is the easiest way for me to grab the crash dump after it happens. I no longer can start up the PC at that point. 

    Is there a linux USB startup I could use to copy the dump to and then examine it on another pc?

    Been on the phone with MS support for hours today, teir 2 is calling me back tomorrow.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T17:23:53+00:00

    Focus on the chipset and wifi drivers, since you never did the BSOD analysis to narrow it down further. You may need an update or roll back.

    You can run a bootable Linux Diagnostics distro:

    https://www.pcsuggest.com/best-linux-live-distro/

    Try running as a Local Account which is what you setbup if you're offline during install. If stable then run the MS Account troubleshooter: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/microsoft-accoun...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments