Windows update version 20h2 is stuck at 20% installing

Anonymous
2020-10-29T01:34:05+00:00

I've tried to install this update on my laptop, but it's stuck at 20% installing. Any help?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-26T03:03:47+00:00

    05/25/2021 

    RE: Windows Update:  KB5003179 & KB5003124

    I'm using a HP Pavilion Notebook laptop 17" screen with 12 GB of RAM.

    I have literally been working on trying to get installs to download and install since 10 AM this morning.   Initially I was informed I needed to update my BIOS .... that was a job in and of itself.  After updating the BIOS I was unable to logon ... it kept asking for my prior password.  After numerous restarts, it finally asked for my Microsoft sign in and password ... no idea what triggered that ... but it worked.  Then I was able to create a new PC password and even create a PIN to allow easy log on.  Later in the day, out of nowhere, up popped a screen requesting I update .NET to 4.8, which I did.  Now it's probably 4 PM.  I continued to search the internet and followed many different instructions regarding stalled Windows Updates:  removing the battery and unplugging the PC, stopping the PC, shutting down the internet and restarting without any WIFI or Internet connection, creating and running a Repair.Bat file, etc.  It seemed to "start" doing actual downloads and completing them around 6 PM.  At that time I plugged the ethernet cable directly into the PC instead of using WiFi ... maybe that was what got things working ... who knows?  Then I checked for Windows Updates again (after restarting a few times for safety assurances) and ran into these two (2) updates.

    Again, after quite some time of trying to install KB5003179, I clicked on Control Panel |  Administrative Tools |  Services  |  Windows Update .... just as I was about to stop the process, I used Alt+Tab to go back to the Windows Update screen as a final check to see if any progress had been made ... the install was now complete and started on installing Windows Update: KB5003124.  That one completed rather quickly.  Then the Restart Now button appeared  and I was able to click on it.  That was at 9:28 PM ... the restart took 21 minutes.  Just for a double check, I immediately restarted the PC again ... no issues.  Again, for the upteenth time, I checked for Windows Updates;  it still shows I need  to download and install Windows Update: KB5003124???  Again, the install appears to be stuck ... at 20%!  It's been a full 12 hours of trying to install 3 or 4 Windows updates and it's still not done ... time to call it a day!!!  I'll leave the PC on and hope the download and update will be done when I check it in the morning :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-10T02:43:15+00:00

    Why do we have to remove or disable graphics cards. Cut through the technical word salad and get this issue fixed. The update should have never been released because Microsoft knew about this issue and did not provide a workaround. I fell the updates should be monitored with a status bar and time left to let users know it will take 6-10 hours to complete the update. Tens of thousands of man-hours are lost by users trying to get their updates installed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-10T02:51:43+00:00

    You're the genius of this group! Thanks for the great answer. Cheers ole boy

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Anonymous
    2021-06-13T14:11:42+00:00

    Because Windows, as an OS GUI, has always been very graphics-card dependent. Back in my MSFT tech support days (Win 286 - 95), top question was always if user had a supported graphics card installed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments