Windows update version 20h2 is stuck at 20% installing

Anonymous
2020-10-29T01:34:05+00:00

I've tried to install this update on my laptop, but it's stuck at 20% installing. Any help?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-01T00:05:47+00:00

    Hi David,

    I had similar issues installing updates. I resolved the issues so I wrote my troubleshooting steps below for you.

    I noticed the lingering update was an issue for me for a few updates as well.

    Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus Version: 1.343.134.0 stopped installing at 20%.

    I ended in task manager with no joy because the service was utilizing 100% disk. It was no longer close to 100% after the task restarted itself.

    The fix action for the update was restarting the computer for another update that had just finished installing.

    Also the feature update to Windows 10, version 20H1 failed to install multiple times on my computer.

    I tried restarting the service and restarting the computer, with no joy.

    The fix action for this update was turning on a service called "Windows Update Medic Service." This service needs to be manually turned on. After starting this service and restarting the "Windows Update" service my computer installed the rest of its updates with no problems.

    I hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-30T10:06:48+00:00

    Hi Daniela.

    Feature updates hanging is an ongoing issue, and a very very annoying and frustrating ongoing issue.

    WHAT are Microsoft doing to prevent future issues ?, its obviously a problem created by the program, so why dont they solve it ?.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-13T22:03:40+00:00

    Thanks that worked for me. From 20% to 67% and stuck again just go to services function stop start window update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-06-13T14:11:42+00:00

    Because Windows, as an OS GUI, has always been very graphics-card dependent. Back in my MSFT tech support days (Win 286 - 95), top question was always if user had a supported graphics card installed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more