How will I get the Invoke firmware update in 01.2021 if I can't set it up to connect to the internet?

Anonymous
2020-11-01T23:36:49+00:00

I had to hard reset my Invoke back in December or January. It's been sitting around like a neglected child because neither Cortana on my android phone nor my PC have been able to get it connected to finish setup. The apps just don't find the Invoke.

I'd like to use it as a Bluetooth speaker as Microsoft has been saying could happen. And I saw on H-K's website that the speaker is going to have to be connected to receive the firmware update when it comes out. I'd sure like to solve the connectivity problem before the update is released so that it's ready.

It seems a myriad of people have had trouble with their Invokes beginning about a year ago; presumably because of Cortana's focus shifting from consumer to back-end. And I do appreciate the rebate. But this is a perfectly good, amazing-sounding speaker that I'd like to continue to use. Otherwise it's unfortunately e-waste. Is there a real solution out there?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Cortana and search

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-10T15:47:45+00:00

    Your speaker can already be used as a Bluetooth speaker. There is a Bluetooth button next to where the power cord goes in.

    You don’t need this update if your device can’t connect to WiFi. Don’t let MS trick anyone, this firmware update is complete BS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-03-10T17:07:42+00:00

    Thanks for the response. I have been able to get through the problem, however at the time I tried the bluetooth button function but it wouldnt work. When I pressed it, Cortana responded by saying I need to setup the device using the Cortana app which wasn't available to me on PC, iPhone or Android. The solution I found is by using an older android phone, Note 5, and downloading an older version of cortana app from third party website which had the option to add device. After setting it up and connecting to wifi, a week after the cortana got automatically decommissioned from the device and now I can use it as a bluetooth device only. I downloaded cortana app version 3.2.

    Hope this thread might help others in the same situation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-03-10T20:23:42+00:00

    I have the same situation that I can no longer connect to my speaker, so the question is can the firmware update be downloaded and uploaded via usb via the connector on the underside of the speaker

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-03-20T01:18:45+00:00

    I was able to connect to the Invoke using an older version, but I cant get the Invoke to connect wifi. I have two and one of them got the update to Bluetooth only automatically. This is frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-03-20T01:58:59+00:00

    I have the same situation that I can no longer connect to my speaker, so the question is can the firmware update be downloaded and uploaded via usb via the connector on the underside of the speaker

    Good question. I thought of the same but unfortunately Microsoft doesnt have that option to be able to download and manually update the firmware using usb connection. Cortana app wasn’t available to me on windows 10, apple or android app store. Try using an older android phone, google cortana apk old version, and find and download version 3.2. Then run and install the app. You should see an option to add device and connect.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments