How will I get the Invoke firmware update in 01.2021 if I can't set it up to connect to the internet?

Anonymous
2020-11-01T23:36:49+00:00

I had to hard reset my Invoke back in December or January. It's been sitting around like a neglected child because neither Cortana on my android phone nor my PC have been able to get it connected to finish setup. The apps just don't find the Invoke.

I'd like to use it as a Bluetooth speaker as Microsoft has been saying could happen. And I saw on H-K's website that the speaker is going to have to be connected to receive the firmware update when it comes out. I'd sure like to solve the connectivity problem before the update is released so that it's ready.

It seems a myriad of people have had trouble with their Invokes beginning about a year ago; presumably because of Cortana's focus shifting from consumer to back-end. And I do appreciate the rebate. But this is a perfectly good, amazing-sounding speaker that I'd like to continue to use. Otherwise it's unfortunately e-waste. Is there a real solution out there?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Cortana and search

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-02-05T22:34:08+00:00

    Yes, happened this night. Fixed now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-05T22:35:18+00:00

    What kind of issue do you have? Where does the setup fail?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-05T23:03:42+00:00

    There were some issues with the setup on Windows earlier with response like "I am having trouble reaching the service" on Cortana Device Setup app. But then it got fixed, so now you can try Windows again, just make sure sure your Cortana Setup App is app to date. I tried setting up with Android or iOS 14.4 (14.2 won't work) and was able to setup all my Invokes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-07T15:52:24+00:00

    I had the same issue and was able to resolve it by doing a hard reset on the invoke. You need to press the small button on the left of the microphone button using a small pin, this will do a factory reset of the invoke, after it's done you can pair it with the Cortana app on the phone again and connect it to wifi and download the update. I'm using Cortana on an iPhone. 

    Hope this helps. This worked for me

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-02-21T02:19:52+00:00

    I had the same issue and was able to resolve it by doing a hard reset on the invoke. You need to press the small button on the left of the microphone button using a small pin, this will do a factory reset of the invoke, after it's done you can pair it with the Cortana app on the phone again and connect it to wifi and download the update. I'm using Cortana on an iPhone. 

    Hope this helps. This worked for me

    Ah, good. I was having trouble getting them to set up again. I have four Cortana/Invoke speakers in different parts of the house, and two of them were basically semi-bricked already. Doing a factory reset like you suggested let me get them working again.

    You know, there is a USB port in the Invoke for upgrades. It would have been nice to have had a simple Windows program that would do the de-cerebration directly, rather than counting on it happening via the network at some indeterminate time. Sigh.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments