How will I get the Invoke firmware update in 01.2021 if I can't set it up to connect to the internet?

Anonymous
2020-11-01T23:36:49+00:00

I had to hard reset my Invoke back in December or January. It's been sitting around like a neglected child because neither Cortana on my android phone nor my PC have been able to get it connected to finish setup. The apps just don't find the Invoke.

I'd like to use it as a Bluetooth speaker as Microsoft has been saying could happen. And I saw on H-K's website that the speaker is going to have to be connected to receive the firmware update when it comes out. I'd sure like to solve the connectivity problem before the update is released so that it's ready.

It seems a myriad of people have had trouble with their Invokes beginning about a year ago; presumably because of Cortana's focus shifting from consumer to back-end. And I do appreciate the rebate. But this is a perfectly good, amazing-sounding speaker that I'd like to continue to use. Otherwise it's unfortunately e-waste. Is there a real solution out there?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Cortana and search

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-10T17:07:42+00:00

    Thanks for the response. I have been able to get through the problem, however at the time I tried the bluetooth button function but it wouldnt work. When I pressed it, Cortana responded by saying I need to setup the device using the Cortana app which wasn't available to me on PC, iPhone or Android. The solution I found is by using an older android phone, Note 5, and downloading an older version of cortana app from third party website which had the option to add device. After setting it up and connecting to wifi, a week after the cortana got automatically decommissioned from the device and now I can use it as a bluetooth device only. I downloaded cortana app version 3.2.

    Hope this thread might help others in the same situation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-07T15:52:24+00:00

    I had the same issue and was able to resolve it by doing a hard reset on the invoke. You need to press the small button on the left of the microphone button using a small pin, this will do a factory reset of the invoke, after it's done you can pair it with the Cortana app on the phone again and connect it to wifi and download the update. I'm using Cortana on an iPhone. 

    Hope this helps. This worked for me

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-05T16:40:18+00:00

    It's not even that for me. Can't get past setup because setup stopped working entirely for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-11-14T23:24:34+00:00

    The Harmon Kardon Invoke speaker with Cortana. Microsoft is taking away Cortana, and has a transition plan in place that apparently isn't working for anybody that I can see (here's another post). I can't set my speaker up using the Cortana app to be ready for the update that Microsoft is sending in January. I'd like to be ready. I've tried the app from android and from Windows. Neither will connect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-11-13T06:43:39+00:00

    This is a forum of users not Microsoft.

    What is this Invoke you are talking about?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments