Hello Graham,welcome to the Microsoft community, my name is Luiz Cruz, an independent consultant and I would be happy to help you.
I understand that you are having problems updating Windows 10, initially I suggest running Windows "Troubleshooting".
In the Windows search bar type: Windows update and enter, in Update and Security, scroll down to "Troubleshooting", run and see if the problem is fixed.
If it doesn't work I suggest the steps below:
- Press the Windows + R flag key, type Notepad and click OK;
- Copy and paste the commands below into this new notebook:
SC config trustedinstaller start=auto
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
cd %windir%
Ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Click the File tab> Save As> Select the desktop;
- Set the name to Wufix.bat and in the field below under Type select all files;
- Click save;
- Right-click on the Wufix file and click Run as administrator;
- Wait until the end of the procedure on the black screen;
- Restart the PC and see if the error persists.
Tip: in some cases a second reboot may be required to complete the KB installation.
I hope I helped, see you soon!