Dear Graham,when you get to the "Install Now" screen click on the "Repair your computer" option on the bottom left, then click on Troubleshooting> Restore PC> Keep my files.
I hope I helped, even more!
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Have tried so many resets I am surprised the hard drive is no knackered. Clean boots, disabling drivers, changing system configuration to hide all microsoft services and disabling non microsoft all fail with the same error.
I have tried all the things you are told to do by microsoft in their pages and still get the same error. Lenovo wipe their feet and say its beyond their support when asked. Nothing I have been told by any representative here has worked. The only thing I have yet to try is a clean install of windows 10!
The computer is as follows:
Lenovo Ideacentre 310s-08asr amd a9-9245 radeon r5 compute cores 2c+3G
8Gb Memory
860Gb free on hard drive
Razer Chroma keyboard
Windows Defender used no 3rd party
Have been told it is the mcafee boot protection but mcafee has been removed after every windows reinstallation, the mcafee removal tool three times.
The previous update via media creation too i tried update and that failed but gave no error code.
This time i tried the iso file and update and yet again it failed but this time i get error 0xc1900101-0x20017
When i use windows update i just get error 0xc1900101 and nothing else.
In the past i have disabled all non microsoft services and i have also disabled display adapters; Printers, sound, video and game controllers and did a restart and that failed also.
I have tried everything the advisers have said and that failed everytime.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Dear Graham,when you get to the "Install Now" screen click on the "Repair your computer" option on the bottom left, then click on Troubleshooting> Restore PC> Keep my files.
I hope I helped, even more!
Is it a bootable installation usb or the iso file usb stick? as the bootable one leads you directly into installation etc
I have a bootable usb windows 10 installation disc and it will boot to that drive if F12 is pressed on boot
I cannot see how you do what you say from step 1 to 2
Dear Graham,you will not delete the partitions, follow the steps below for repair. (If you are not comfortable doing it, take it to a trusted technician)
Note: This process does not alter or remove your personal files. However, it is recommended that you have the Backup of your files. As it is a long process, external interferences such as variations in the electrical network or unexpected equipment shutdown can generate failures and cause damage to system and personal files.
I hope I helped, even more!
So to clean install
put usb with windows 10 into any usb slot
reboot computer
when windows install screen appears click next
click install now
click do not have key
click custom install
delete all partitions to leave drive 0 and it is all unallocated
then click next to install
If this fails to use system repair disc and the recovery drive i already have to return pc to initial stage. It is the failure ti install windows via the usb and i am left with a system minus o/s i am concerned about.
Dear Graham,another way to access secure boot is: Type msconfig in the Windows search bar and enter, click on "System boot" and under "Advanced Options" check the "Safe Boot" option and then Network.
Make a backup of your files before performing this procedure, and returning to version 1903 you can resume this update via Windows Update.
If you are not comfortable performing these procedures, I suggest you take the computer to a trusted technician.
I hope I helped, see you soon!