Your problem is the same as mine, any update which is pushed onto your machines turn SMB back OFF as it seems Microsoft will not let us have home networking
Win10 can't connect to Win8.1 but Win8.1 can connect to Win10
Frustrating problem on local home network.
I regularly access multiple computers on the lan remotely, but often my win10 box cannot connect to other non win10 computers even though they can connect to the win10 computer.
I resolved this once, can't remember what I did and now it's back and creating major time wasting.
Win10 wastes even more time by taking almost 5 minutes to timeout before anything else can be done in windows explorer.
Thanks in advance,
Beverly Howard
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2021-02-02T02:01:36+00:00 -
Anonymous
2021-04-11T19:52:41+00:00 This problem is back and, unfortunately, the steps that I posted on 1/31/21 are now not resolving the issue. As posted previously, none of the other suggestions and steps in this thread have worked.
Yesterday, I was able to connect the Win10 to the win8.1 computer and view, transfer files, open, save to, etc, etc, but no way at the moment.
As mentioned, I can connect from the Win8.1 computer to the Win10 and have a fully functional network connection FROM the Win8.1 computer.
Any more thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Beverly Howard
-
Anonymous
2021-04-12T04:17:23+00:00 I think StephenHayward26 was referring to this...
HomeGroup removed from Windows 10 (Version 1803)
I hope that leads to a solution & gets you off McCartney's long & winding road. Have you run into him yet?
-
Anonymous
2021-04-13T03:19:39+00:00 >> I hope that leads to a solution <<
yep, been there before and this is not a homegroup issue... don't have homegroup on the Win8.1 computer.
I am pretty sure that this is a user rights issue since (for security reasons) the normal login on the Win8.1 computer is as a non-admin user. There appears to be a glitch where the Win10 os "assumes" that non admin users are to clueless to know what a file transfer is.
Ironically, I had no problems with file transfers to and from the other win8.1 computer on this network, but that box is now gone.
...and, as mentioned, I had the ability to share files in both directions the day before I posted my last cry for help on April 10.
Will keep trying combinations. Thanks for the response,
Beverly Howard
-
Anonymous
2021-04-13T03:48:23+00:00 Think this is designed to make sure users go crazy.
My primary need for network connections and file sharing between these two computers is to sync files so that I can work seamlessly on either computer...
So, I just ran my file sync software on the Win8.1 computer (which always works when the Win10 computer is turned on) completed the file sync, then climbed two flights of stairs (I'm getting too old for this) to the Win10 computer, clicked on the shortcut for the Win8.1 computer and had an immediate connection.
Perhaps the step that I missed was logging in as admin, then relogging in as the non admin user, but I didn't run a file transfer or file sync before I returned to the Win10 computer. In most cases, rebooting does not prevent subsequent reconnections to the Win8.1 computer from the Win10 computer.
If history holds, I will now be able to connect from the Win10 computer until something such as a windows update runs a reboot. Just updated my "tips" file to include this step next time.
Beverly Howard